Museum hive?

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Bee Me Up 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hello a year or two ago I went to a museum somewhere in England which had a clear perspex beehive in it on the top floor - but I can't remember where the museum was! Does anyone else know the museum I refer to? It was a smallish museum, i.e., not one of the biggies like the Natural History Museum in London, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
Not a museum but if you are interested then a visit to Quince Honey Farm at South Molton, Nr. Barnstaple Devon may be worthwhile.

Has lots of perspex hives where you can see bees going about their business, along with other beekeeping stuff.

http://www.quincehoney.co.uk/

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Quince are a local legend. They move bees under nets with out closing in bees... and the locals I heard... shut their doors and windows during the season...LOL

PH

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
There is an observation hive at Cliffe Castle Museum in Keighley, West Yorkshire. I saw 1 at Castle Howard in the 1970's but not sure if it's still there.

A

abeale 

There is an observation hive in Warwick Museum - at least there was earlier this year. It is on the second floor - just next to the large stuffed bear!!

DulwichGnome 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
The Horniman Museum in SE London has had a observation hive for many years.

Bee Me Up 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
There is an observation hive in Warwick Museum - at least there was earlier this year. It is on the second floor - just next to the large stuffed bear!!
That's the one I was thinking of - thank you very much for reminding me!

After some googling - for the sake of posterity and for people wanting to visit if they are around that way - its officially called Market Hall Museum in Warwick.

:cheers2: Cheers abeale!

Bee Me Up 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Thanks also for the other tip-offs of other observation hives! Its a good place to start looking as a newbie methinks!

Latest posts