multiple hives in small apiary..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelsoo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, due to space constraints i can only have about a small area allocated as my apiary., i currently have 2 hives (number 1 and 2 on attach 3d model) at my home apiary and was thinking to add another 2 more (number 3 and 4), however, number 3 and 4 i plan to face the fence because when inspecting the hives, i approach them from the side, i won't be standing right at the entrance in their flight path.

i was wondering if this option of hive facing the fence is plausible as they will always be in the shade and entrance will never see sunlight. hive 1 and 2 faces the sun.

option 2, is to turn the hives to face one another which solves the inspection problem but the gap between the 2 hives is only about 1 foot apart i think they will be some confusion amongst colonies or possible robbing or fights.

option 3 is to push hive 3 and 4's backs against the fence, means both hive 3 and 4 will face backs of 1 and 2 respectively. is this another plausible hive setup?

No worries about varroa tray access for the hive floors, i had converted my floors to have side access varroa trays so they can be accessible from the foot path and the carparking drive. The 4 hives are also behind slatted louvre removable panels which the bees fly through the slats and the panels are removable during inspection sessions.

thoughts?

Attachments

• 4 HIVE SETUP with louvres slats.jpg
    4 HIVE SETUP with louvres slats.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 4 HIVE SETUP alt view.jpg
    4 HIVE SETUP alt view.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 4 HIVE SETUP.jpg
    4 HIVE SETUP.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 54
Hi, due to space constraints i can only have about a small area allocated as my apiary., i currently have 2 hives (number 1 and 2 on attach 3d model) at my home apiary and was thinking to add another 2 more (number 3 and 4), however, number 3 and 4 i plan to face the fence because when inspecting the hives, i approach them from the side, i won't be standing right at the entrance in their flight path.

i was wondering if this option of hive facing the fence is plausible as they will always be in the shade and entrance will never see sunlight. hive 1 and 2 faces the sun.

option 2, is to turn the hives to face one another which solves the inspection problem but the gap between the 2 hives is only about 1 foot apart i think they will be some confusion amongst colonies or possible robbing or fights.

option 3 is to push hive 3 and 4's backs against the fence, means both hive 3 and 4 will face backs of 1 and 2 respectively. is this another plausible hive setup?

No worries about varroa tray access for the hive floors, i had converted my floors to have side access varroa trays so they can be accessible from the foot path and the carparking drive. The 4 hives are also behind slatted louvre removable panels which the bees fly through the slats and the panels are removable during inspection sessions.

thoughts?
And here was me thinking that I was tight for space!
I assume you live in a built up area from your location and I admire your problem solving approach.

My concern is that your group of hives are so close to a footpath (which from your model I assume is the only footpath) to your home and this would be subject to regular footfall from your family, the postie and visitors, which is not ideal.

Option 2 with a distance of only a one foot away, as you have yourself pointed out is prone to drifting, robbing when the opportunity presents and again not ideal.

Option 3 so near a fence presents you with the possibility of a phenomenon called a frost pocket, but being in London frost is something you don’t get unlike my own situation.

Also bees will fly up and over the fence and if you live in a busy conurbation and have say a block of flats or a 2 storey house opposite your home you may get passers by or neighbours being bothered.
The straw that may break the camel’s back regarding your near neighbours patience would be swarming.
Here in Scotland all it takes is a neighbour, to complain to Environmental Health at the local council, for you to be politely asked to remove them.

I have heard about very creative beekeepers in large cities such as London, keeping their colonies on the roofs of buildings, disused land belonging to Network Rail/ Rail companies, allotments, or even asking your local Kirk if any land available as it may be better all round to see if you can create an Out Apiary nearby that gives you a wee bit more space without bothering any neighbours.

I too have to admire your inventiveness for space but I would hate to work with 4 hives of bees in such a confined space with neighbours and others in the vicinity.
Of your 3 options I favour no. 1. I don't think the bees mind facing a fence, mine in my garden face a 6' hedge and just spiral up with out bothering neighbours.
I assume from the fact you call this your home apiary you have others, a necessity if any of those hives get a bit spiky and need immediate removal.

I really need to know how close other people are. Scary sun by the way!

Lol, good thing is my neighbours all get to share my honey as I give them abit to sweeten the deal, I have been planting alot of shrubs to hide myself when I deal with the hives.

My only worry is any of these hives becoming rogue, so far so good. Neighbours also rarely, only occasionally say once a year per household use the communal access footpath to get stuff to their gardens. I am the only household who use the footpath.

Yeah swarming is potentially an issue, but I'd try my best to perform swarm control to prevent that from happening.

Maybe just have 3 instead of getting too greedy to have 4 hives.

In terms of confinement space to work, it's OK as I got full access to the hives from the sides via drive and footpath been doing that for hive 1 and 2.

I really need to know how close other people are. Scary sun by the way!

The footpaths i had drawn in is private footpaths so no public access, although not fenced off, the main Road is about 25ft away from front of the hives.

Have some thoughts and maybe should just stop with the 2 hives tbh.. If not careful with swarm control or hives turn rogue it's hard not to piss other off.. However if hives turned rogue I will know first because I am constantly at my drive doing gardening, diy etc.

Lol, good thing is my neighbours all get to share my honey as I give them abit to sweeten the deal, I have been planting alot of shrubs to hide myself when I deal with the hives.

My only worry is any of these hives becoming rogue, so far so good. Neighbours also rarely, only occasionally say once a year per household use the communal access footpath to get stuff to their gardens. I am the only household who use the footpath.

Yeah swarming is potentially an issue, but I'd try my best to perform swarm control to prevent that from happening.

Maybe just have 3 instead of getting too greedy to have 4 hives.

In terms of confinement space to work, it's OK as I got full access to the hives from the sides via drive and footpath been doing that for hive 1 and 2.
Its not a situation I personally would wish for and I would be using an out apiary.
Best of luck to you anyway

Its not a situation I personally would wish for and I would be using an out apiary.
Best of luck to you anyway

Yeah maybe on 2nd thoughts should just stop at 2 or just the 3rd, so far this is 2nd season at this apiary (started as just overwintering a weak nuc and grew to that 2 hives) and my place here the colonies give good results hence I thought to add another 2 more, but seems I may be asking for trouble trying to be too greedy as it's quite close to main road, the plan was if any of the hives gives me issues, I will seal the entrance and relocate to another site to deal with and only keep placid ones here.

All fine and dandy until they start to make swarm preparations and all of a sudden you need to A/S split colonies.

I got a back garden to temporarily put some nucs if need to split at that time.. And once nucs established, either sell them off or keep housing at temp location.

I got a back garden to temporarily put some nucs if need to split at that time.. And once nucs established, either sell them off or keep housing at temp location.

I've also got a garden apiary.
I've had problems after inspections forget about swarming or Q- colonys..
I went up to six and now have three at home.
Eventually.. Next year I will only keep nucs in the garden as I could do without the hassle.

I had just one hive in a relatively small area similar to yours and it was a nightmare especially once they built up and were needing 2/3 supers, then trying to split to prevent swarming with no room. Finally they then, after 12 months, became a nuisance, bothering in the garden, following etc, stung my husband, a neighbour and so I gave them away and guess what I have got my garden back and a lesson learnt! Now just stick with my out apiaries which were easy to find.

I've also got a garden apiary.
I've had problems after inspections forget about swarming or Q- colonys..
I went up to six and now have three at home.
Eventually.. Next year I will only keep nucs in the garden as I could do without the hassle.

Oh, so far after inspections they are pretty good, the girls are very placid, bees turning rogue is my main concern too as don't want passerbys, postman, binman etc getting stung. I wanna modify the slats abit so they only fly up and away so their flight paths don't clash with peoples' heights.

Swarm control this year (demaree) had been pretty successful, next year I hope if its also as successful hopefully OK.. I think I'd stick to 2 or 3 at this place, the current 3rd is an overwintering nuc. 4 is really pushing my luck really and potentially biting off more than I can chew

Dear neighbour
In the interests of neighbourly harmony perhaps my Ditty which is meant to be witty,
Illustrates my views perhaps shared by others in the vicinity, regarding your expanding apiary.

Kind regards from your friendly smiley neighbour.

I love my flat and it’s location
I love the parking spaces small and cramped
I’d love it more if your apiary
Was not left a Buzzin’ near the footpath a potential hazzard for the unwary.

Owners or tenants we all may be
But some neighbours may think it’s not considerate to park an apiary there for free.

Never mind the neighbourly annoyance caused, you may be of the opinion ‘entitled’
Regardless of what the neighbours think.
Never mind the rest of the residents on the street or block
Why should your apiary create such a shock!

Particularly if looking for my flat or house to rent or sell
Any prospective viewers will think this block or Street is residential hell.😉

I wish you well, but would not like to have my bees in that situation. At some point either they, or the neighbours, will turn rogue. Beekeeping is supposed to be relaxing not a constant worry.
I have an out apiary on farmland, next to my allotment, only 400 yards from home. I have a primary school at the bottom of my garden and would never contemplate having bees at home.

Latest posts

Back