Mulled Wine.... delicious!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
This is a Jamie Oliver reciepe and we have it every xsmas day, it is best made today and allowed to steep. :)

2 clementines
Peel of 1 Lemon
Peel of 1 Lime
250gms of Caster Sugar
6 whole cloves
1 Cinnamon stick
3 fresh bay leaves (or dried)
whole nutmeg
1 Whole vanilla pod halved
2 Star anaise
2 bottles of chianti or Italian wine but buy the best you can!

Peel large sections of peel from the Clementine, lemon and line and try not to get pith on it.

Put the sugar in a large pan over medium heat, add the pieces of peel and squeeze in the Clementine juice. Add the cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves ad about 10-12 gratings of nutmeg.

Add the halved vanilla pod and stir in just enough wine to cover. Let this simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved into the red wine and then bring to the boil. Keep on a rolling boil for about 4-5mins, or until you have a lovely thick syrup. Do not use more wine for this process as it will burn the wind and destroy the flavours.
When the syrup is ready, (see it is a beekeeping recipe!) turn the heat to low, and add the star anise and the rest of the two bottles of wine, gently warm it and after 5 minutes when it's warm and delicious serve.........

Make at least two days before and warm it every day to intensify the flavours. It is suggested that it is then strained before serving....

*Raises glass*

Merry Christmas!

PH

Nice one PH - will certainly be giving it a go.

A tongue in cheek observation - An unusually high number of typos makes me think you have been checking the batch for correct flavour:coolgleamA:

Enjoy our hols

Not a drop...............yet...........lol

Was touch typing and the spell check winna pick up on wind for wine but it will pick up wdin.

PH

Think it's an appropriate time to revive this thread.
I will replace the sugar with honey.
Mmmmmmmmm Mulled wine.:party:

Cazza

I would be cautious on that one Cazza, and this is a bit surreal as we have just done a stock check for this years batch.

It seriously pays to make it 48 hours in advance and let it all steep. Please note the all... leave the herbs in and it vastly enhances the flavours.

I suspect that honey would alter the balance a lot and so council caution.

PH

I would be cautious on that one Cazza, and this is a bit surreal as we have just done a stock check for this years batch.

It seriously pays to make it 48 hours in advance and let it all steep. Please note the all... leave the herbs in and it vastly enhances the flavours.

I suspect that honey would alter the balance a lot and so council caution.

PH

You are the expert on this recipe PH. I like the flavour of honey in my mulled wine so how about making it without the sugar and leaving it to steep but adding the honey last minute and to taste?
C
Er no....that's a stupid idea as I wouldn't end up with a syrup then would I.......DOH!

Last edited:
chuckles..

If you are determined to use the honey then I would leave it until the last minute and use the lightest one you have. Then just add a bit to try it first. As in use the sugar as per the recipe then just a half teaspoon in a couple of glasses amount to try it.

Ca cannie as they say, aka take it easy...

PH

You seriously suggest that after the aroma has wafted through the house there will be any left within in the hour, never mind a few days later? You obviously haven't met my family!!!

Hmm so no padlock or shotgun? Invest dear chap...

PH

Recipe sounds stunning. Does the colour of the wine matter? Red of white?

Replace the wine with home brewed Cider and just a smidge og honeeeeeeeeee!

Hic!
Wassail !!!

:drool5:Sounds good to me:drool5:

I'll give it a try with cider, Blackberry wine and Oak leaf wine. Will report back when I sober up:gnorsi:

If I didn't mention it already it truly pays to use the best Chianti you can afford. It does make a serious difference. The first time we used cheapie stuff and the 2nd we err... upgraded as per Jamies instructions and I have to tip me hat in the mans direction as yes it really did make an odds, a serious odds.

PH

The recipe I used to use was very similar, but involved the addition of half a bottle of port and just a smidgeon or two of best armagnac.

It was always very tasty.

Had to give up making it though - the current Lady DD developed something of a dependency on it as her pre-breakfast pick me up!

Good man!

If you are free in October for my birthday might we fall over together...LOL

PH

If I didn't mention it already it truly pays to use the best Chianti you can afford. It does make a serious difference. The first time we used cheapie stuff and the 2nd we err... upgraded as per Jamies instructions and I have to tip me hat in the mans direction as yes it really did make an odds, a serious odds.

PH

The cheek of it:eek: Fancy implying my home brew is cheap:rolleyes:. I've never dank chianti, is it red or white?

I'm on a no buy rule to alcohol atm, hence there's 20 gal of wine and 80 pints of beer/cider brewing in the garrage:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back