Msleading e-bay item

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can you tell?? The photos are from quite a distance and I could see the detail...

Ah - I knew I wasn't having a good day...didn't think to count them...thanks Heather!!

Have a good look at the size of the supers in the picture they are the same size as the brood box. The hive roof will also give you a clue.

It would of course also help if I had nationals and not WBC - roll on next year, when I'll know what I am looking at!!!

BS Nationals have a square footprint not a rectangular one.

Not on ebay myself but can you report the seller for trades description stuff - is a national a set size (British standard) in the UK?
On the BBKA site, others have sent emails to the seller - the replies make interesting reading!

I would hate someone to get caught with an odd sized, non BS standard; and then of course, if encouraged by this sale the seller could have more to sell.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere to ask questions that are published on that listing on ebay.

I asked the seller about the hives this is the reply

ebay seller said:
they are nationals in croatia where they are from here they are known as comercials. regards martyn. there is no queen excluder

I also suggested that he could change the title to Langstroth...but we shall see whether he changes it or gets removed...

Seller has just updated his advert

ebay seller said:
Please note where these hives are from in croatia they are called national hives here in the UK they are known as commercial hives, forgot to mention as some people with existing equipment will find that they are different. goodluck and happy bidding on these amazing quality pieces of kit!!!!

i pm him : but it still wrong, never seen an oblong commercial

Dear ghooduk,

they are nationals in croatia where they are from here they are known as comercials. regards martyn.

- clashsolder

Reply in your email program or through My Messages
Respond Now

To: clashsolder
Subject: ghooduk has sent a question about item #150495884180, ending on 27-Sep-10 00:37:50 BST - New Stunning National Cedar Beehive £1 NO RESERVE!!!
Sent Date: 25-Sep-10 20:00:18 BST

Dear clashsolder,

The picture is not of a National 11 frames BS hive as it has 10 frames in an oblong box with short lugs frames

a national has 11 long lug frames and is square not oblong, ie the size of the plastic Queen excluder in the photo which is larger than your box

- ghooduk

Last edited:
I had an identical reply from him - anyone get the feeling he really doesn't care what he is selling? Just hope a newbee doesn't bid thinking they are getting a bargain...

I had an identical reply from him - anyone get the feeling he really doesn't care what he is selling? Just hope a newbee doesn't bid thinking they are getting a bargain...

:iagree:
Joined ebay!!!!
Emailed the seller.
Got an identical reply from him as well.
Have sent a complaint to ebay.

complaint sent to ebay over misleading title. hope a newbie does not buy this thinking they are getting a national hive.

Back