Mr

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigescott

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, my name is Nigel Scott (Nige) and I live in Woking, Surrey. I have just got interested in bee keeping and would like information to get me started. Currrently I am keen to make my own hive/hives.

Hello, my name is Nigel Scott (Nige) and I live in Woking, Surrey. I have just got interested in bee keeping and would like information to get me started. Currrently I am keen to make my own hive/hives.

Welcome Nige.

Probably best to do a lot of reading ... plenty of books on the subject, loads of stuff on the internet.

You need to decide what sort of beekeeper you are going to be before you do anything and if you are going to build your own hives then there are a plethora of different types to consider.

You would be well advised to look for your local Beekeeping Association and join them ... they may well be running an introductory beekeeping course at present which you could join. You will also be able to get some practical experience alongside more experienced beekeepers during the season.

It's not something to enter lightly ... for my money it's best to get a grasp of the basics before you get any bees of your own. Learn this year, start next year if you can be that patient.

:welcome:
Lots of advice and support on the forum - you'll learn loads :)

Hi Nigel

Google blackhorseapiaries and i think you will find them top of the list. Phone or pop in, he is local to you.

Ian

Hello there Nige :welcome:
I have just built my first hive, finished the final touches today. Had lots of 20mm pine board laying about, so thought i'd make a hive, seeing as i'm going to need an extra one soon.
It is pretty basic, if your'e a handy man,once you know how. Once you know what type of hive you want, and you've downloaded plans, look for videos on the net (mostly YouTube) on building same type of hive. I must say, it is very satisfying. Good luck.

Yes, one reason for different hive designs is the different weight attached in the design compromise to the ease of construction joinery.

In any case the carpentry needs to be millimetre accurate on internal dimensions, with the boxes square and level.
Many people begin by assembling flat-packs, before making their own parts.

Find a local beekeeper, ask them if you can borrow a suit and go and go with them when they go through a hive to see what happens. Your first experience of bees flying round you can be overwhelming. Once that is under your bonnet then sort out a course. Good luck
E

Back