Mowing near the beehive in the garden

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natureboy44

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Any advice would be much appreciated from anyone with any tips on mowing around the bees? They are in my garden and I have to mow to within a metre of the front of the hive, is there a better time of day to do it, do I need to suit up for this, they were OK with me last year but were a smaller nuc most of the time then in a hive and now and there seems to be a hell of a lot more bees out front and going in and out and lots more activity they are possibly a little more feisty too.

Edit- Also didn't really want to suit up around the beehive to mow or strim in case the neighbours saw me doing this and got worried.

Last edited:
Any machinery around hives is not a good idea. Even with the best of bees get yourself a hood fencing veil vest just to chuck on whilst you are around them.

Decent bees do not care. I mow - using a petrol mower - right up to the entances. And strim round the hives and under them..
No issues.
Any hive that objects and attacks me is requeened.

never had an issue with petrol mower, seen then having a look with strimmers going

I wait until the evening, when they have stopped flying. As long as you don't bash the hive or propel clippings into the entrance you should be OK.

I always wear a veil. Even in the evening I have been caught out by a defensive guard bee. Why take the risk. I just throw an old hat and veil on.
99% of the time I don't need it but one up your nostril will soon change your mind.
E

Any advice would be much appreciated from anyone with any tips on mowing around the bees? They are in my garden and I have to mow to within a metre of the front of the hive, is there a better time of day to do it, do I need to suit up for this, they were OK with me last year but were a smaller nuc most of the time then in a hive and now and there seems to be a hell of a lot more bees out front and going in and out and lots more activity they are possibly a little more feisty too.

Edit- Also didn't really want to suit up around the beehive to mow or strim in case the neighbours saw me doing this and got worried.

Just be quick as you can. If you hang around too long they will get p*ssed off.

Went to check one of my apiaries this afternoon, loaded the battery strimmer to have a bit of a tidy up as it was looking a bit overgrown last time I checked. When I got there it was a transformation - willow withies cut back and the whole area strimmed neatly - Fiona, the landowner had done it all with her big Stihl petrol strimmer to save me the work as I'm 'bound to be a bit busy with all this Covid stuff' she strimmed right up to a few feet from the hive entrances - she doesn't have a bee suit!!

Use a wooden entrance block or foam or a handfull of grass or anything else that blocks the entrance.
I use a wedge of foam.

Just watch the hive to see how they behave at different times of the day. Mine get going at about 0800 in this warm weather and all are back in the hive by 1830.

Last edited:
Decent bees do not care. I mow - using a petrol mower - right up to the entances. And strim round the hives and under them..
No issues.
Any hive that objects and attacks me is requeened.

Can’t agree more, I have 3 hives and use a petrol mower and strimmer hives are 2’ apart and the mower just fits between them with the occasional bump or two. Usually I wear shorts & T shirt and never an issue. Only thing I am mindful of is passing the front of the hive with the exhaust facing away as it is at the hive entrance height. Also gently sift through the grass box to rescue the few bees that get an unexpected trip. Never yet been stung doing this.

Use a wooden entrance block or foam or a handfull of grass or anything else that blocks the entrance.
I use a wedge of foam.

Just watch the hive to see how they behave at different times of the day. Mine get going at about 0800 in this warm weather and all are back in the hive by 1830.

0800! Lazy buggers. ;)

Can’t agree more, I have 3 hives and use a petrol mower and strimmer hives are 2’ apart and the mower just fits between them with the occasional bump or two. Usually I wear shorts & T shirt and never an issue. Only thing I am mindful of is passing the front of the hive with the exhaust facing away as it is at the hive entrance height. Also gently sift through the grass box to rescue the few bees that get an unexpected trip. Never yet been stung doing this.

Bees do NOT like exhaust fumes.. I always mow first parallel to hives entrances with exhaust pointing away. That has the additional advantage of not having the mover in front of any hive for very long.
If you cut at right angles to the entrance, you are in the bees flight path for much longer ...

I cut parallel to entrances for 6-7 passes before cutting vertical to entrances so never near the hive..
Beside and behind hives does not appear to be an issue..

Latest posts

Back