Moving two hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Is it possible to move two hives some 50 feet in the winter when activity is minimal or non-existent?
I think I may need to move mine. They are in full sun all day which I though would be OK as I live in Cumbria and hot sun is rare. Not so rare this summer and we are even facing a hosepipe ban. Does the 3 feet 3 mile rule apply in the winter?

As long as hive activity is curtailed for, say, a fortnight.

Much less can be got away with - just lean something (a board?) against the hive so they know to re-orientate the next time they emerge.

If you wis to do it now ,you have a couple of options. Move them away for a couple of weeks before repositioning them, or move them according to the 3 foot rule. A metre and a half, or two, may be OK, (3 feet was a 'rule of thumb'). Just don't get all the flying bees in the one hive!

Regards, RAB

Winter its the best time to move them so shoudnt be a problem , just have to be careful that you dont wake them up to much cant you put a unbrella up
Grub

Winter its the best time to move them so shoudnt be a problem , just have to be careful that you dont wake them up to much cant you put a unbrella up
Grub

Am I missing someting here? "Unbrella up" what do you mean? :willy_nilly:

Latest posts

Back