Moving Mason Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmerrix

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,
I have what i believe are Mason Bees living in an outside wall of my ~1900 house. There are around 8-10 different holes that are being used by a fairly steady stream of bees. From what I have read elsewhere on the 'net they should not cause a problem and are generally a good thing.
However, the wall they are living in is shortly to become an inside wall as we have an extension going up at the moment which will enclose all of the holes, and obviously i don't want to end up with them living inside the house.
Is there a way to successfully move them?
thank you for your help
James

Leave them there. if they go out build your new wall quickly..

As far as I know they die off at the end of the season like bumbles.

If your soon-to-be inside wall is going to be plastered then the holes will be blocked off and the larvae/pupae will die. The adults will, hopefully, find or make another hole and continue.

I believe that you get one mason bee per hole, busy laying eggs (ie. if you are seeing lots of visits to a particular hole, it should be the same bee making lots of visits).

I suggest blocking the holes ASAP and making the bees homeless. The eggs already laid will be lost, but hopefully they will have time to find another site and lay a few more.

Thank you for the replies - i think i will just block up the holes once i have seen the bee leave.
James

Don't forget that solitary bee stings are not tough enough to penatrait human skin so pose no threat other than a visual, and they also have a short life span.

Don't forget that solitary bee stings are not tough enough to penatrait human skin so pose no threat other than a visual, and they also have a short life span.

I found out the hard way that they are capable of stinging human skin. I was showing a member of the public that they have a short sting and should pose no problem, I was immediately zapped seven times for my trouble. Fortunately no worse than a nettle sting.

Teach me to show off.

oh wow... there goes training gossip then...

Latest posts

Back