moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren64

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm wanting to move my hives about 20 feet to a better place in my garden,would now be a good time with all the snow and cold weather?

Now would be ideal as long as you dont slip while doing it

Yes....and I suggest you still block the entrance with some sacking/scrunched-up newspaper until this icy/snow weather is over. Otherwise you'll lose any bees attracted outside by sun or snow reflected light at the entrance

richard

Good time to move bees. But still block the entrance in case you bump the hives and they spill out.

Amazing! I make six in a row, and all of us in agreement.

Yes move them, but don't block the entrance, after moving, if on solid floors.

Regards, RAB

too much agreement here, what time on saturday? I think 17:46.

and PH will probably suggest you move them in a manky old spin dryer!
:reddevil:

Moved a hive in my garden today - I hope you 6 are all correct

Ron Brown pointsout, if you're moving them in cluster, do it very gently so they don't feel the need to investigate.

Moved a hive in my garden today - I hope you 6 are all correct

Dick you should have no problems, I moved my mine to a new out apiary during the snows last winter, later in the year granted (feb) - it was a rough transfer with a final leg in a wheel barrow over 400m, so they were most definately 'disturbed'. I left them closed for a couple of days, then opened up, they made no attempt to explore etc, they didn't need extra fondant suggesting they went back to a quiet winter ball quickly and came through strongly. I may have been helped by the cold temperatures which persisted for a good week after moving them, hopefully you'll get the same. Good luck! R

Last edited:
I moved my bees to a farm about 2km away last Saturday, there was an inch or two of snow and with the weight of the hives (heavier than you think) it was damn tricky. Clear a path so you can see where you are treading, and strap them together with the entrance blocked, I used some foam, and take great care. Good luck.
Steven

I moved them last saturday,but today when I decided to move the fence that surrounds the old site,a lot of bees seemed to have been out and returned to old site.I thought they were supposed to forget after three weeks.

I moved them last saturday,but today when I decided to move the fence that surrounds the old site,a lot of bees seemed to have been out and returned to old site.I thought they were supposed to forget after three weeks.
Is last saturday until today really three weeks,how time flys...lol.

OK, I'll bite.

Does the three miles/three feet rule not apply in the winter?

Surely these are winter bees that have memorised their surroundings and will return to the old location if they come out in warm weather?

OK, I'll bite.

Surely these are winter bees that have memorised their surroundings and will return to the old location if they come out in warm weather?

I was going to ask this as well :)

OK, I'll bite.

Not really. cleansing flights shouldn't really have many coming across old flight lines :)
I have moved hives 2 or 3 hundred yards during Summer by observing the 3 miles rule for a week of more by relocating that distance then returning to the site required, on discovering that they have moved; bees tend to re-orientate .
The fact that bees have a shortened life span during Summer helps to ensure that enough young workers are coming through and if any ,it will be worn out old foragers that would be lost !

John Wilkinson

Back