Moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imagine sitting in your front room, watching the telly in winter, it's perfectly still outside as the temperature hovers around -5, then you take away your carpet or rug to reveal the wire-mesh floor ; bees have it tough, but seem to get through it anyway!
🥶
Sounds like a house in Cornwall !

Yes, the presence of the open mesh floor is precisely my point, but if you think CGF should give his bees the experience of being in a wind-tunnel, by putting a travel screen on and driving them around in the back of a pickup, on the basis that "bees have it tough", fair enough.
Patric wasn't travelling around in a pickup? As for captains travels that's a different sinario.

Lol I’ve never seen or heard of bees getting blown to death, and I’ve moved plenty myself it’s really not an issue. Ian

...........but if you think Captain should give his bees the experience of being in a wind-tunnel, by putting a travel screen on and driving them around in the back of a pickup, on the basis that "bees have it tough", fair enough.

I don't...my point is...people are rightly concerned that the bees will be put under stress; but some things concern people more than others.....there are plenty of other things done to bees which seem stressful to me, but which are generally seen as good . :)

Is there anyone here who is worried about moving bees in a pick up......A...Own a pick up.....B....Ever moved bees in it...C..Traveled in the back of a pick up... If so please say. Ian

Last edited:
Is there anyone here who is worried about moving bees in a pick up......A...Own a pick up.....B....Ever moved bees in it...C..Traveled in the back of a pick up... If so please say. Ian

Went to school in the back of a pickup in the summers, happy memories

Someone on facebook reminded me not long ago that back in the late seventies/early eighties my father had a little Nissan tipper truck which he brought home from work most evenings and weekends (handy for the farm)- in the summer our branch of the Urdd (welsh league of youth - for you outsiders it's kind of youth club) regularly had barbecues up on the mountain, or trips to the castle - no minibus, my father would just roll up and all the kids would pile into the back
Happy carefree days

Someone on facebook reminded me not long ago that back in the late seventies/early eighties my father had a little Nissan tipper truck which he brought home from work most evenings and weekends (handy for the farm)- in the summer our branch of the Urdd (welsh league of youth - for you outsiders it's kind of youth club) regularly had barbecues up on the mountain, or trips to the castle - no minibus, my father would just roll up and all the kids would pile into the back
Happy carefree days
Haha! That reminds me, and I haven't thought of it in years, but back in the mid 80's (when my wife and I were enjoying making our full time living from a 6 1/2 acre smallholding just outside Llandeilo in Carmarthenshire) we often used to pick up holiday-makers who were staying with us (if we saw them walking back to the house) in the open back of our short wheelbase Landrover. Surprising how many you could get in there. Never struck us as odd then even though it was along the main roads. Of course there was no danger of them overheating but if they had . . . well, you know . . . they weren't locals :driving: One of the guests, now a great friend, began keeping bees after seeing ours and his daughter and son-in-law in Portugal are just getting theirs. Nice to pass it on.

Latest posts

Back