Moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my own travel screen. The bees got through it!
Have your bee suit to hand in case some idiot runs into you. Nothing worse than a van full of stroppy bees and you trapped in the driving seat!!
:LOL: My bee suit and torch will be beside me and I will be ready to bail out if necessary!

:iagree: two parallell straps are much more secure than two crossed - less likely to twist apart
I had an experiment and can definitely see the benefit of two parallel straps. However much I twisted the boxes, I couldn't get them to budge. It also may be easier to get the straps on while the hives are on the stand!

I had an experiment and can definitely see the benefit of two parallel straps. However much I twisted the boxes, I couldn't get them to budge. It also may be easier to get the straps on while the hives are on the stand!
If the bees have been flying make sure there are none under the omf

Will be doing the same but with a pickup so not such a panic if they escape with regards to being stung. OMF and Travel screen will be used with a tonne of ratchet straps!

Unfortunately not , they will be strapped up behind the cab where theres no wind blast at all.

That's fine, but I really wouldn't use travel screens then. No need. They will effectively be outdoors. You risk damaging them by blasting wind through the hive, in my opinion, though I have never tried it. OMF is perfectly adequate.

Last edited:
Your fine moving them in the back of a pick up.

Last edited:
That's fine, but I really wouldn't use travel screens then. No need. They will effectively be outdoors. You risk damaging them by blasting wind through the hive, in my opinion, though I have never tried it. OMF is perfectly adequate.
Cheers , they will be in nucs anyway ,even better

Imagine sitting in a caravan, being towed behind a car at 70mph, if the roof had been removed from the caravan and a wire mesh put in its place :driving:.....

Imagine sitting in your front room, watching the telly in winter, it's perfectly still outside as the temperature hovers around -5, then you take away your carpet or rug to reveal the wire-mesh floor ; bees have it tough, but seem to get through it anyway!
🥶

Imagine sitting in your front room, watching the telly in winter, it's perfectly still outside as the temperature hovers around -5, then you take away your carpet or rug to reveal the wire-mesh floor ; bees have it tough, but seem to get through it anyway!
🥶
I don't know I wouldn't mind being inside a cluster of bee's for winter it would be cosy enough

🥶

Yes, the presence of the open mesh floor is precisely my point, but if you think Captain should give his bees the experience of being in a wind-tunnel, by putting a travel screen on and driving them around in the back of a pickup, on the basis that "bees have it tough", fair enough.

Personally I would just leave the roof on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back