Moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, I have 3 colonies of bees in my back garden and am moving house in 2 weeks time to a place about an 1.5 hours away. I would be grateful for any advice on the best way to move them. For example, is it dangerous to transport them in your car, do you need netting, if ness floored, will the 2cm base gap be sufficient ventilation? etc.
Thanks

Even in winter in a car I would fit a travel screen... and of course block entrance with foam and strap together well

Wear the appropriate PPI... even your beesuit.
If you get pulled by the CovidPolice you will have a reasonable excuse to travel.
Police "chicane" on the A30... I was waived through... in Defender with beesuit on... obviously working.
Car with suitcases on roof rack was being "interrogated"!!!
Take care.

For example, is it dangerous to transport them in your car, do you need netting, if ness floored, will the 2cm base gap be sufficient ventilation?
Not all dangerous; netting not necessary; mesh floor is a good start but a travel screen would give peace of mind. Buy travels screens or traveltops or make them: info here at The Apiarist.

Security will be assured by two ratchet straps locked in parallel about 100mm in from each side of the box. Don't run the straps over the entrance because they'll interfere when you bung in the sponge.

Prevent the hives moving using luggage or straps or both. We're told that frames should follow the direction of travel to prevent frame slap when braking, but I've done it incorrectly many times without incident.

I'd choose a mild day, perhaps 8 or 9C, when the nest is likely to be loose. If you leave when it's 3 or 4C the tight nest will disperse in the warmer car, and if it's colder at the new location they'll be unable to move to reform the nest.

Not all dangerous; netting not necessary; mesh floor is a good start but a travel screen would give peace of mind. Buy travels screens or traveltops or make them: info here at The Apiarist.

Security will be assured by two ratchet straps locked in parallel about 100mm in from each side of the box. Don't run the straps over the entrance because they'll interfere when you bung in the sponge.

Prevent the hives moving using luggage or straps or both. We're told that frames should follow the direction of travel to prevent frame slap when braking, but I've done it incorrectly many times without incident.

I'd choose a mild day, perhaps 8 or 9C, when the nest is likely to be loose. If you leave when it's 3 or 4C the tight nest will disperse in the warmer car, and if it's colder at the new location they'll be unable to move to reform the nest.
:iagree:with Eric as he said in the day, I don't understand why folk say they were out with a damn head torch at 12.
Close them up in the eve and move the next day.

I have used straps before now to hold the memory foam or sponge In place also found good gaffa tape between the joins of boxes and over the entrance with foam to help.

Thanks for the recommendations of these guys. You really helped me out. My family and I had just moved to a new house in the country, and there were two big beehives under the porch. They looked dangerous, and we did not risk moving them ourselves. Also, we did not want to hurt the bees. Then a worker from Experienced Team of Movers in Los Angeles, California - SEKA Moving who was helping us move told us that there were people who could help us with that, but he did not have any contact with them, and that is why he suggested that we look it up on the Internet. Thankfully we have found this forum and have already called one of these professionals. Hope they will be able to remove those bees, and we will move in safely.

Thanks for the recommendations of these guys. You really helped me out. My family and I had just moved to a new house in the country, and there were two big beehives under the porch. They looked dangerous, and we did not risk moving them ourselves. Also, we did not want to hurt the bees. Then a worker from Experienced Team of Movers in Los Angeles, California - SEKA Moving who was helping us move told us that there were people who could help us with that, but he did not have any contact with them, and that is why he suggested that we look it up on the Internet. Thankfully we have found this forum and have already called one of these professionals. Hope they will be able to remove those bees, and we will move in safely.
Excellent. Let us know how it goes. Photos would be good too.

Latest posts

Back