Moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveselvage

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have four hives that i would like to move to a more suitable place in the garden that is about 15 feet from there current position.
As they have eventually settled down for the winter will i be able to move them and disregard the 3 feet/3 mile rule?

Simply answer is yes I believe, bees are not out working now so it wont be an issue - I had heard anecdotal evidenced of colonies suffering from Winter moves mind, not sure why this is (maybe ppl being heavy handed).

I have a number of Nucs I need to move due to 'mud' and will do it with great care, not worried about the flying bees as they have stopped now.

Last edited:
Should be fine Steve,when you relocate the hives put something in front of the them so they realise something has changed.

That way they come out the hive and think whats going on ere then and take note of the new position..

Are you moving them up the bank from the end of the garden?

I have just (about 3 weeks ago) moved 2 colonies about 80 miles. There are noticeably more dead bees outside these hives than the ones that haven't been shifted. Slightly different scenario from a few feet...
It isn't huge numbers - 10 or so, one colony more than the other. It may just be that winter has set in, and they are adjusting. It is probably a colder site, but any ideas welcome.

Hi Steve

For the move in the garden you want a spell of cold weather that prevents flying for 3-4 days, at least in my area we have not had this yet.

It's exactly the same principle for when making up nuc's/minis and keeping them on the same site, the door is shut and opened eve of the 3rd day.

If you are not sure or still have bees flying mid day then wait for a longer spell of cold IT'S NOT LIKE WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT LONG:(

Regards Ian

Should be fine Steve,when you relocate the hives put something in front of the them so they realise something has changed.

That way they come out the hive and think whats going on ere then and take note of the new position..

Are you moving them up the bank from the end of the garden?

:iagree::xmas-smiley-024:

The booksgenerally recommend more than a very few days. I would wait until there is a prolonged spell of cold weather. Like best part of a couple of weeks if the forecaasts are that good! You don't want to be risking losing any bees unecessarily, at this point in the beekeeping year.

Regards, RAB

I think ill wait for a while until its a bit colder,and there is less chance of slipping head over heels with a hive of bees in my arms.
Yes Mark i an going to put them at the top of the bank, all facing the trees at the back, hopefully they can be a little closer to my dog kennels but still not bother the dogs.
You were right by the way its much too slippery underfoot to have the bees where they are.

I have just (about 3 weeks ago) moved 2 colonies about 80 miles. There are noticeably more dead bees outside these hives than the ones that haven't been shifted. Slightly different scenario from a few feet...

If weather is cold, under 10C, bees fly out and return quickly to home. If they don't find home entrance in old place, they have not much time to find it and they will drop down to rest and can't any more rise to air.

I have seen that in that hurry their even go to the neighbour hive wher they often will be killed.

So you need it so cold that they don't fly, or warm enough so they can fly for long enough to find home, but not in between?

If they don't fly, how long do they retain their memory of the "old" home entrance?

Seems that this is getting a bit fussy.

Move them. Shut them in to do it and leave them shut in for three days.

Put a BIG obstacle in their way so when they fly they "bang their heads and think oops this is new" (B. Mobus) and all will be well.

Example of obstacle... sheet of ply...

PG

I'm inclined to agree with you PH. Psychoanalysis of bees is bound to be a time consuming and needlessly losing strategy.
OK on the plywood and Finman's contribution re temperature and the neighbourly welcome at this time of year. :grouphug:

Latest posts

Back