moving hives to the heather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
last year was the first time that i moved hives to the heather and unfortunally , i put them on a bleak windswept side of a mountaint .I had made arrangement by phone , never inspected the site before hand and was driven in under the cover of darkness . when i went back to inspect them a week later the door was nearly swept of the van as i got out.
Today i have sourced two much better sites with easier access and am preparing colonies to move in a months time.
I have a couple of questions.
1.. WOULD ONE COMMERCIAL SUPER BE ENOUGHT, OR WOULD THEY FILL A SECOND ONE.
2. IS IS BETTER TO GIVE THEM DRAWN OUT SUPERS. I HAVE NONE UNWIRED AND WAS THINKING OF GIVING THEM CUT COMB FOUNDATION OR STARTER STRIPS.
3. I HAVE AN HOUR AND A HALFS DRIVE.. IS IS BETTER TO BRING THEM IN THE MORNING OR EVENING
4. DO YOU TRAVEL WITH THE SUPERS ON OR PUT THEM ON WHEN YOU GET THERE.

THANKS ....KEITH

1.. WOULD ONE COMMERCIAL SUPER BE ENOUGHT, OR WOULD THEY FILL A SECOND ONE.
2. IS IS BETTER TO GIVE THEM DRAWN OUT SUPERS. I HAVE NONE UNWIRED AND WAS THINKING OF GIVING THEM CUT COMB FOUNDATION OR STARTER STRIPS.
3. I HAVE AN HOUR AND A HALFS DRIVE.. IS IS BETTER TO BRING THEM IN THE MORNING OR EVENING
4. DO YOU TRAVEL WITH THE SUPERS ON OR PUT THEM ON WHEN YOU GET THERE.

First of all you want a grouse moor for heather honey. By reason of the heather being burnt on a regular basis.

I used to move mine on an empty super. As with combs but extracted ones.

I put in half CC frames with CC foundation mounted in them.

Starter strips are a false economy.

Time you move them is up to you but they can start flying very early so I move at night.

Wait a month and you may well lose the crop. The old adage about the 12th of August is rubbish. I have seen the flow in the third week of July. Your call though.

As for the amount of supers to put on? Ya have to go and check.
PH

1. depends on the season
2.drawn out supers are much better most seasons, its harder for them to build comb as the evenings draw in
3.either but if you move in the morning its best to do it nice and early
4.I travel with the supers on, you want your hives to be heaving with bees. Ventilation is very important

Back