moving hives tieing down

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UK_45573_01_b_20100322164950.jpg

£1.99 at Lidl's.... sounds good, well spotted :)

Ratchet straps can move.

Spanset ones don't.

Also the spansets can be used for tricky cramping jobs.

PH

They're £1.99 for a reason! I had some of these last year, they're probably ok if used inside or ocassionally outside, however I used them to secure a cover over a boat that I had stored outside over winter. As soon as I touched the orange webbing strap it literally fell apart - the winter weather has rotted through the material.

Ratchet straps are nothing but a pain regards strapping and moving hives.

I had some similiar ones from Maplin.
If I'm moving hives or nucs around I put two or three on. They've been fine but, as said above, I wouldn't want to leave them exposed to the weather for too long.

Peter

Hi

I like the ratchet straps, far more confidence in them than other types.

Regards Ian

only listed cos I tought they were good value for money

Poly Hive please share your problems with ratchet straps

neaver herd of Spansets

good point about U V stability, I've only used them for holding radiators plywood plasterboard and glass for short periods of time so usefull feed back.

Hivemaker please elaborate why are they a pain

Buzz lightyear I take it that your asembled lifts sperated when moveing
would they be ok for moveing floor, brood, traveling screen ?

I would been intereasted in your input as I have cus with land in Snowdonia
and my take holiday there with a hive.

Please

If you have a dislike of an item please share your problems that have caused
you to dislike that item in full, then we can gain from your expeirience.

They have a nasty habit of coming loose,they are a pain when loading a trailer with hives because you cannot stack the hives tight together,unless having the ratchet at the top,then you have to remove each one to put the crown board and roof on,they jam and clog up,they corrode,they take far to long to strap hives with,all in all i personally hate the things,just plain inefficient,and over complicated to do a very simple job, and i know of no other commercial beekeepers,(least ways not round these parts), who use them,including the biggest one in the country, for the very same reasons.
Left some of these objects on some hives in an out apairy several years ago,before i knew better,had to cut them all off,corroded solid.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply Hivemaker

what do you use to secure hives ?

and how,

I've scene the yanks load hives and just tarp them down ?

I know my grandfarther used to move hives to wales in the 20-30s via train
how he secured them I have no idea.

possible a more bee friendly time

Your grandfather may well of used staples,i use the spanset straps,can easily carry and strap up say 30 hives in a matter of minutes,they also exert incredible pressure,and don't rattle loose,plus are completely flat,no sticky out bits getting in the way and nothing to jam up or corrode so can be left on hives as long as you want. I have them several years old and still in good nick after being out in all weathers,ultra violet does not seem to of affected the nylon webbing at all.

I don't need to add much to what Hive maker has said.

Spanset is a generic name now like Hoover for a vacuum.

The great thing about them is no moving parts and the tension is incredible.

Staples? Don't make me laugh they belong in the dark ages.

PH

I use ratchet straps with no problems. I can see what you mean by the bee farmers not using them but as we are mostly talking small scale beekeepers who dont have to stack hives up when moving them they are fine.

Plumber I think these are the other type of straps they are on about
http://www.bees-online.co.uk/view.asp?ID=857

Last edited:
Am I the only one to struggle with hive straps- they never stay firm but twist and loosen - Aaahhh!
I end up using as a rope and just tie a big tight knot!!!:smash:

I don't suppose a suitable rope would be good enough? Kept loads on lorries for a long time before straps became the easier option. I have used them at times.

I actually like the ratchet straps particularly if the short tails are short (whole of ratchet end can be under the roof in the winter). Covered in a sheath to keep the light off them, they last some considerable time.

Secret is to use multiple straps and so not need to pull them down so very tight that the mechanism is over-loaded. I often use my 2 1/2 tonne straps (and even the 5 tonners), but they are a pain 'cos of all the unused strap.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back