Moving hives after snelgrove split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster007

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of basic advice here on moving the top part of the hives onto a new floor etc. after a snelgrove split.

I managed to successfully split 2 hives earlier this year (about 6weeks ago) using the snelgrove method and all top and bottom brood boxes and doing well.

They both have strong laying queens and are building up stores well in the supers that I added.

This means the hives are getting tall and heavy and I want to split the hives up now.

I've the hive stands and floors ready (with the entrances facing the same directions as the upper snelgrove splits on the 2 original hives) so I will end up with 4 hives.

My questions is, when you advise moving the top brood boxes to the new floor etc.

I was only planning on moving them around 5ft and wondered if this was enough?

Also, what is the best time of day to do this?

I would do it in the middle of the day but wondered if the foragers would find the new position of the hive?

I'm still a relative newbie and only in my second season so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back