Moving hives 150ft as quick as possible!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I need to move my hives to the other side of the garden as quick as possible.

I have no suitble places to take them more than 3 miles away, so am I stuck to 3ft per day?

Jim

I wanted to give bees to my buddy who lives a mile away and did the following:

I put them on OMF with sponge blocking the entrance and a feeder with weak syrup on, and then I shut them in the garage in the dark for 3 days. Then I took them to my bee buddy's. It worked. They didn't come back.

Worth a try?

I have found a location that is just under 3 miles away, and he is a fellow beekeeper.

How long (minimum time) would I need to leave them at this temporary location before I could move them to their new home at the other side of my garden?

I think I would still set up a bait hive or two in the old location in case they went back there.

I think if it had been a few days I might have considered it, but 3 to 4 weeks, I will leave them where they are and move them through AS or even wait until winter.

The good thing is I now have this new site, which will alow me to expand into. Main point is it is furthest away from the road/neighbours/people.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back