Moving hive 300 metres

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesleybees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 + 4 nucs
Hi guys,

I've got no choice but to move my hives further down the field as at the minute, they are being a nuisance. Both hives have virgin queens in rest for mating but the bees are not happy with fliers following me a good 100 yards away. I have been stung on my face and do has the land owner even though we where both 150 yards away from the hives

As the normal rule is 3 miles away, I thinking I should block them In with feed and move them to there new destination. Leave them closed up for a couple of days then let the out. I've been told I we put something in front of the hive entrance, it will make them learn there new position instead of flying back to the old site.

Am I correct in saying this? What should I use in front of the hive and any other advice appreciated

Do as you say but stuff the entrance with grass. It will take them a couple of days to chew their way out and then hope for the best. Put the entrance facing another way too. Good luck but if it has to be done then do it.....if it can wait for a forecast of two or three rainy days even better.
E

If they've got two virgin queens in, that may be the reason they're tetchy, they may settle down once they are mated. If you are going to shut them in for a few days, remember you're preventing the queens going out to the boys

I didn't read the bit about the virgins! Silly me....well spotted!

I've moved a hive around a hill, about 400m. I leaned some shrubbery against the hive, but blocking them in with grass would work well. I moved the hive in the evening, and left an empty nuc in its place. I went back to the old site the next evening with a dustpan and brush and collected the 100 or so bees that were sitting dismally in and around the nuc. The next evening I went back again and there were very few bees.

Oly way is to find good outer pastures and move the hives there.
If you try to move 300 m, you will loose you foragers in tha middle of summer, and it is not a small loss. You loose yield too.

To stuck entrance with grass is humbug. Why to have 3 miles rule if grass handle it?

Use you brains ( not concern 2 hive owners)

I know only too well about the 3 mile rule but this hive had to be moved before someone got hurt.

Finman, I was moving the hives 300 metres regardless of what anyone said on this forum. That decision was already made. What I wanted to know is how best to do it and I now have a few answers from helpful members of the forum.
If I lose the foragers and the queen doesn't get mated cos i blocked her in, so be it (no pun intended) I'll cross that bridge when i comes to it. At least ill sleep better tonight

On another point, with the 2 virgins in the same hive. What can happen next? Will one kill the other? Or will one swarm?

I

Finman, I was moving the hives 300 metres regardless of what anyone said on this forum. ?

They are your hives. Not mine.

"What I wanted to know is how best to do it and I now have a few answers from helpful members of the forum. "

I have only 50 years experience about beekeeping. What I want to say to you: don't use your own brains!!! Seems bad.

Put a box in old place and look how much bees goes there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back