Moving frames around

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbuzz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
I have a hive the I am concerned will not do well over the winter. After feeding it looks very full of stores and I have only a single frame with any brood on it. There are two undrawn frames near the hive entrance, is it too late in the year to move them to the centre to give more brood space, or will the bees be fine as they are. I found the queen marching about over the honey, and am concerned she doesn't have enough area to lay.

I have a hive the I am concerned will not do well over the winter. After feeding it looks very full of stores and I have only a single frame with any brood on it. There are two undrawn frames near the hive entrance, is it too late in the year to move them to the centre to give more brood space, or will the bees be fine as they are. I found the queen marching about over the honey, and am concerned she doesn't have enough area to lay.
If there are lots and lots of young bees then yes put one I drawn frame right in the middle. Have a look in a week to see what they have done with it. You might be able to put the other one in next to it. The other undrawn frame needs to be at the back.
I read everywhere that you can feed bees till they stop taking it. It’s not true.

Hi Eric,

Can you please explain " I read everywhere that you can feed bees till they stop taking it. It’s not true."

When should you stop feeding sugar syrup?

Ok not everywhere but social media
You should be aware what stores are in the brood box before you feed and feed accordingly. Feeding until the bees stop taking it risks leaving the queen no room to lay winter bees. There is Always the option of adding fondant If it’s too late to feed syrup but in most places there is plenty of time to liquid feed

Ok not everywhere but social media
You should be aware what stores are in the brood box before you feed and feed accordingly. Feeding until the bees stop taking it risks leaving the queen no room to lay winter bees. There is Always the option of adding fondant If it’s too late to feed syrup but in most places there is plenty of time to liquid feed
I see people feeding their bees from mid August when there is still nectar coming in ... you have to think about what you are doing .. there are far too many beekeepers who just do things by the calendar and don't give any thought to what effect it is having in the hive and on the bees .... Goodness .. I'm beginning to sound like RAB ... where is he by the way ..not seen him on here for a few weeks ?

I've fed syrup well into October down here and they have taken it down without any problems - i usually wait until after the Ivy has gone before I start and it's still a week away in my garden.

I can't see anything there about the size of the colony...as in the number of bees. There is sometimes a big range in that respect and consequently a corresponding variation in weight of stores needed.

Feeding in August or for that matter in June/July may have been necessary this year as the summer flow was pretty poor in some areas.

I can't see anything there about the size of the colony...as in the number of bees. There is sometimes a big range in that respect and consequently a corresponding variation in weight of stores needed.
Its based on a colony in a single national brood box that's what's recommended in this country 40lbs
I've had colonys only use half that frugal Welsh bees.

Hive weights /type should be forwarded when someone asks me how many stores are required but a strong colony will also use more winter food that stands to reason.

Its based on a colony in a single national brood box that's what's recommended in this country 40lbs
I've had colonys only use half that frugal Welsh bees.

Hive weights /type should be forwarded when someone asks me how many stores are required but a strong colony will also use more winter food that stands to reason.
Yes, here I go by the size of the colony in the box more than the size of the box surrounding the colony.

In my (agreed fairly limited) experience, 40lbs is more than my colonies have ever used. My colonies have all been mongrels from original buckfast stocks. Apparently some strains (eg Italians) need a lot more than others.

I see people feeding their bees from mid August when there is still nectar coming in ... you have to think about what you are doing .. there are far too many beekeepers who just do things by the calendar and don't give any thought to what effect it is having in the hive and on the bees .... Goodness .. I'm beginning to sound like RAB ... where is he by the way ..not seen him on here for a few weeks ?

I've fed syrup well into October down here and they have taken it down without any problems - i usually wait until after the Ivy has gone before I start and it's still a week away in my garden.
We have even had to remove frames stuffed full of ivy to give the girls some room to roost... I don't think bees actually like it as there is more often than not a frame left untouched in the Spring in a lot of colonies.
Chons da

If you’re in to Facebook here is a sensible reply from one of our “greats”

View attachment 22302
Beginners often advise other beginners...... How very Irish!... and more than true!!
Once when totally lost on the great green isle... I asked a passing farmer directions to a local town..." well he said... I could... but I would not start from here!!!!"
Chons da

Once when totally lost on the great green isle... I asked a passing farmer directions to a local town..." well he said... I could... but I would not start from here!!!!"

But this is a lie, isn't it. And this joke is about 50 years old. And was probably offensive to Irish people even back then.

But this is a lie, isn't it. And this joke is about 50 years old. And was probably offensive to Irish people even back then.
Absolutely no offense intended... and YES it actually did happen to me... Summer of '92... the farmer met me later in a pub in Baltimore and asked me if I had found my way home... I bought him a pint of Murphys... he had recognised my Harley Davidson XLX parked outside.
Chons da

Absolutely no offense intended... and YES it actually did happen to me... Summer of '92... the farmer met me later in a pub in Baltimore and asked me if I had found my way home... I bought him a pint of Murphys... he had recognised my Harley Davidson XLX parked outside.
Chons da

I call bullshit, sorry. But hey, absolutely no offence intended!

These tired Irish jokes (including the reference to "How very Irish!" in your post), were acceptable in the 1970s, which is perhaps when you learned them, but this is the 21st Century, so please ..... delete the post.

I call bullshit, sorry. But hey, absolutely no offence intended!

These tired Irish jokes (including the reference to "How very Irish!" in your post), were acceptable in the 1970s, which is perhaps when you learned them, but this is the 21st Century, so please ..... delete the post.
Jonathan Getty is Irish.
I would hazard that is why Apple posted what he did. I’m sure Jonathan would not take offence

In my (agreed fairly limited) experience, 40lbs is more than my colonies have ever used. My colonies have all been mongrels from original buckfast stocks. Apparently some strains (eg Italians) need a lot more than others.

My Italian mongrels do use more, as the generations go by though they are becoming less Italian and more black bee.. I would like to hopefully keep the genetics but its not going to happen.

When my black bee's are on 4/6 frames of brood... My Italians are bursting out the box on 11.

One of my Italian mongrel queen's this season had two nucs taken and brood stores and still produced honey..

I think the Italian stock are better for the spring crop... But later on the black girls come into there own.

I would like to look for some Italian queen's any suggestions any one??

Back