Moving Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I have found that having some foam rubber to hand can save a move from turning in to two moves...

Span set tie down straps are very effective and last for years and years, actually never yet worn one out. No mechanism to go wrong and you can achieve a fierce tension.

Water sprayer to mist entrances and kid them into thinking it is raining and time to go back inside.

Patience. Lots of. And careful planning.

Last of all if you have the bees in the vehicle with you drive with your veil thrown back, just in case....

PH

I have found that having some foam rubber to hand can save a move from turning in to two moves...

Span set tie down straps are very effective and last for years and years, actually never yet worn one out. No mechanism to go wrong and you can achieve a fierce tension.

Water sprayer to mist entrances and kid them into thinking it is raining and time to go back inside.

Patience. Lots of. And careful planning.

Last of all if you have the bees in the vehicle with you drive with your veil thrown back, just in case....

PH

I gaffer tape an old net curtain to the Dog guard,to create a little Bee proof cage in my hatch back

Place the hive in the car so the frames point front to back so they move less on breaking/accelerating.

Put the straps on the day before if you can and leave them semi tight.

Move early morning if you can as it gives you the sun all day if things go wrong.

I have had to move hives 30 miles plus late at night a few times and its no fun with a torch and car headlights.

Buy a sign from Thornes that say's "Bees on board",I have found a few times at roundabouts that following cars back off allowing you to take the roundabout at 15-20 miles an hour.

Make sure the frames are a tight fit - any sharp braking will cause them to move.

Early morning... LOL

I've had them out and working at 3. am that is.

Start at dusk and get on with it. Moves to heather I worked all night until they started at 3... Time to knock of I thought.

PH

admin
I used to put a sign in the land rover but of late i have stopped doing that just in case the vehicle behind follows to your site and they or associates come back later for the hives, posibly paranoid but you never know.

I totally wrap the hive in a net curtain or sheet and tie with string or tape, if a strap breaks or bees do escape they are trapped inside the sheet , no worries
mark

Latest posts

Back