Moving Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewm

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A friend has a large wildflower meadow and is happy for me to site a hive nearby but it is only a mile or so away. I know I have to move the hive for more than 3 miles and have a fellow beekeeper who would be happy for me to temporarily move a hive to his land which is more than 3 miles away. Does anyone know how long I would need to leave the hive before moving it back to its new location?

I think the books say about 2 weeks, but if it is a mile away and you happen to have another hive beside the one you want to move away I don't see why you could not just move it straight there. Any bees that do return will go into the other hive.

Just move it and leave the entrance stuffed with some grass.. when they come out they will know they are somewhere else and reorientate themselves.. Mine do it from one side of the garden to the other...

Just move it and leave the entrance stuffed with some grass.. when they come out they will know they are somewhere else and reorientate themselves.. Mine do it from one side of the garden to the other...

I've heard about this, but not tried it yet.

Do you have stuff the entrance full of grass really well?

Approximately how long does it take for the bees to chew trought it and release themselves? (presumably not as long as 2 weeks :))

I've heard about this, but not tried it yet.

Do you have stuff the entrance full of grass really well?

Approximately how long does it take for the bees to chew trought it and release themselves? (presumably not as long as 2 weeks :))

Just put enough grass (small pieces) in to slow them down when they want to leave the hive.They realise that something is different and have a look around to check where they are and where to come back to. Paper might work as well.

Back