moving bees mile and a half. What risk is it?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know everyone talks about the 3 mile rule. Are there any exceptions to the rule?

I would like to move bees out of woodland to an open site just over a mile away.

The hive is a nuc but has built to 7 frames. They have been in the woodland for about 3 weeks now.

Is it really bad to move them or do some people take the risk?

Cliff

I have moved bees less than 3 miles.

I closed them in at night. I then shut them in the cool dark garage for 3 days still closed in. Then I took them to new site. They were fine.

Hi Cliff
Most will come home to the original hive home , I have done this before to my regret but you live and learn, luckily I still had another hive for them to return to.
I think if you had to move them choose a diffrent site miles away from the site you want to put them , and then move them hopfully somone on here will tell you how long they have to stay before moving to the spot you want to keep them

Grub

I can wait but I'm not happy with the current position under trees in the woods. Its always darkish and cool.

Cliff

In theory they need to sit on a new site for a good 5 weeks given play flights from the youngsters and the oldies dying off.

Yes you can move them in a one-er but it may carry a cost in lost bees. I would move them and leave them on the new site shut in with mesh so they can see out and can recognise by the angle of the dangle from the sun that they are in a new location.

I would keep them shut in for three days then let them out of the evening of the third.

However I have other hives to mop up lost and confused ones.

PH

Thinking of the 3 mile rule, if I move them off to another location, how many days will I need to leave them before I return them to close to their original home?

My alternative as said previously, move them when they cluster. Are we talking around october?

Cliff

Grub,

When you moved your bees did you do anything like placing a load of bramble clippings in front of the hive so the foragers had to fight their way out. Apparently this helps them realise something has happened and they re-register the hive location...

I am fairly sure that two weeks in a alternative site is enough. It is not just the re-orientation of the bees to the new site but them being on auto-pilot and returning to the original site if foraging the same area. That is what I do - take them to a competely different foraging area for a couple of weeks and then move them again. If the flow has changed there is likely less risk, too.

Regards, RAB

I have just moved my two hives one mile from their original location. Have a read of the thread 'Moving 2 WBC hives this weekend - a plan' for details and results.

I am now a week later and can confirm that I have less than a thousand bees in the original location. I intend to return them to the hives tomorrow. I had been warned of horror stories etc but in the end all has turned out great. That is not to say you should always ignore the rule but in my case I have had a great success.

I was helped by a couple of days of poor weather Midweek and lots of luck...but it can be done.

All the best,
Sam

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back