Moving bees in winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melias

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had read that moving bees in winter is risky because the winter cluster can be affected. I need to move my bees about 4 miles.
Has anyone had problems moving hives at this time of year? One reason I'm keen to move them now is that I could do so during the day as they arent flying.

I had read that moving bees in winter is risky because the winter cluster can be affected. I need to move my bees about 4 miles.
Has anyone had problems moving hives at this time of year? One reason I'm keen to move them now is that I could do so during the day as they arent flying.

GENTLY moving them with the hive intact should not disturb the bees. I have moved short distances with two of us at either end of the journey to lift the hive and the transit was on a barrow over somewhat rough surface so done slowly and steadily.
Of course if you drive quickly off road all bets are off :)

As the others have said 'as gentle as possible'.

I would just add that I am assuming you will transport them in a vehicle and would suggest turning off any heather and keeping the vehicle cool whilst they are in transit.

"because the winter cluster can be affected"

as i've stated before the winter cluster isn't some magic solid lump of bees that forms in november and dissolves in february/march.

it's a dynamic situation dependent upon ambient temperature.

sure gentle moving WILL disturb the cluster somewhat, which will be present as you move in cold spell so no flying bees but aside from a wee bit of excess energy usage no harm done.

"because the winter cluster can be affected"

as i've stated before the winter cluster isn't some magic solid lump of bees that forms in november and dissolves in february/march.

it's a dynamic situation dependent upon ambient temperature.

sure gentle moving WILL disturb the cluster somewhat, which will be present as you move in cold spell so no flying bees but aside from a wee bit of excess energy usage no harm done.

Move colony in hive as you would any other time of year ensuring bees can not escape from hive!

From not flying, and can be moved in daytime, this does not mean the bees will not exit once on the move in car, bees are "curious as any man" after all!

New beeks reading this need to understand that bees can be moved at daytime in flying months.
The bees will be more easily ensconced within hive when roosting at nignt, when they can be blocked in.
Please ensure that travel screen is in place to allow adequent ventillation, OMF should not be blocked off, even in winter.

James

Latest posts

Back