moving a wbc hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
Hi
Has anyone got some experience in doing this. I have 3 that I need to move in the next couple of weeks. All have deep bb and one has three supers.

All helpful comments appreciated
Sam

Strangely in those days they felt the need to label everything...
Almost as if the man from the Ministry of Labelling was stood out of shot.

"I say old chap, that label is not of regulation size or font"

:beatdeadhorse5:

or maybe, this film might have been for showing at places where there was no facility for sound reproduction?

Hi Sam. Moving my wbc I did the following. Day before removed the lifts. Placed a screen on top of the supers and put the roof on overnight. Next evening strapped the brood box, supers and screen together. Placed a wooden cover over the entrance and gaffer taped in place. Got my nephew, strong young man, and lifted the whole hive inner and stand as one onto vehicle and moved. I did have a mesh floor and 1 brood box plus 2 supers. It was heavy. Reassembled at the other end in reverse order over a couple of days.

Hi
Has anyone got some experience in doing this. I have 3 that I need to move in the next couple of weeks. All have deep bb and one has three supers.

All helpful comments appreciated
Sam

Sorry Sam, I was meant to reply to your post but watching that movie put me off. :p

You didn't say how far they were being moved ?

If they are moving more than 3 miles I do the following.
I would clear the supers of bees using a crown board and bee escapes the day before you which also helps cut down on the weight. Then treat the brood chamber the same as any other hive.

Wait until they stop flying for the day plug the entrance with either foam or my preferred option is nylon mesh pinned across the complete width of the hive in case the entrance block slides inside the hive, strap the hive up using two straps. As soon as you can set the hive up in its new location and let them fly again.

(Entrance block - I always put two nails behind the entrance block to stop it from sliding inside the hive)

Good luck Sam and let us know how you get on.

bee-smillie

Thanks for your comments and the video link...he must have been a hard man not to worry about facial stings or throat stings.

if I clear the supers of bees and trap them all in the brood will they have enough space or will they suffer?

Sam

May have missed it in the thread but, a piece of foam in the bottom of the brood box to as a wedge to the bottom frame bars to stop the frames from tilting and squashing her majesty in transit. I have moved a couple of swarms lately and used the foam. I removed one piece but on the second I forgot, when I came to inspect the girls had half done it for me! blue foam bits over the ground in front the entrance.

Back