moving a TBH

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thurrock bees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ive been given a TBH with bees and will collecting on friday. Ive got a trailer and a fellow forum member to help me. Ive got not experiance with these hives( ive never seen in person) any help on how to seal and transport these hive would be great?

Should only have one entrance in use? Cover with a gauze and secure the rest. There might be simple slats across just one end and a dummy, so the whole nest might be sliding from one end to the other if not very careful (tipping and braking). No frames so the comb will be much less robust, so will need handling 'as eggs'. Structure of hive could be anything from robust to flimsy. May be large or may be small.

Not much help really. Sorry.

Regards, RAB

I have only ever moved a TBH once, a Kenyan. A 20 minute drive with the hive crossways in the boot of my 4x4, (hive didn't have legs). The combs will then be parallel to the wheels and less likely to be damaged by braking. Take it easy cornering and it should go ok. One TBHer in USA moves them upside down, says they transport better.

Is it a KTBH? If it is, just wondering how established the colony is and if its at one end or central in the hive.Whatever the set up, it may be a good idea to pack any voids between the follower boards and the ends of the hives to stop movement or, as Rab says, you may have a mess when you arrive back home.

Fill the hive with all the bars this will keep the others from sliding around and check if the bars can slide out sideways, if so use masking tape along the ends of the all the bars although the roof should stop them sliding around to much and falling inwards. Finally if you have some very soft foam to rest the hive on for each leg for the journey it will help smooth out the ride if you can strap the hive down onto the foam.

I've moved serveral TBH's and not had a problem with comb breaking or crushing the bees.
:cheers2:

Ive been given a TBH with bees and will collecting on friday. Ive got a trailer and a fellow forum member to help me. Ive got not experiance with these hives( ive never seen in person) any help on how to seal and transport these hive would be great?

Not considering migratory beekeeping then? :hat:.

John Wilkinson

The active word would be carefully. Like all hives. :)

PH

Latest posts

Back