Moving a hived swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a swarm from a small hive.
It came from a hive I did an AS on earlier this month, (it's the original hive, having moved the original queen)
I missed a queen cell:banghead:
There are only 2 frames of bees, they are in a naff old ply nuc box and there is pollen going in during the odd nanosecond it's not raining.
I hived them 7 days ago and they have taken about a litre of sugar. Would it be too disruptive to move them into a decent nuc box when there is a bit of good weather?

Limited info in your post so I hope I have interpretted correctly. Hived 7 days ago, covering 2 frames, stores going in.

You make no mention of eggs etc so I am assuming a virgin queen / not laying yet?

I would not disturb them again for 2 weeks. A typical nuc is 5 frames, they are only on two. At that point I think it is gamble time. You dont want to risk disruption when a queen could be on a mating flight / returning / just flys off before there is brood to tie the colony to the location. Inspect quickly in 2 weeks, no brood then it's gamble time, leave another 2 wks and check again but (the gamble) you want to get them into a std BB and built up fairly pronto as well because you are running out of time - unless you combine.

It's warm and provided the 'naff old ply box' is secure the girls wont mind that they aren't in a 'des res' Small colony though so watch the entrance size, entrance activity for robbing and jaspers!

Thanks Rosti
Sorry, yes more info needed.
Hive swarmed on 12th. I caught them and put them in the ply box.
I looked in briefly the day after.
Entrance is one bee space, fair few bees coming and going when they can
Wasp traps out.
Being fed as it's raining all the time.No, not rain but deluge.
AS was done on 25th June and the "one' cell I left would have hatched on 5th July.
If the queen I missed had been started from an egg on the day I did the AS she would have hatched on the 11th and they swarmed on the 12th.
Is it possible I have a mated queen in the swarm (ie the first to emerge) and why didn't she nobble the queen cell?
Oh I don't understand...........
I will probably be combining the AS hive/parent hive and swarm later anyway. Just wanted to give them a chance really.

If you already have 'combination' in your mind as a back stop and are not reliant on these for build up then I'd give them their two weeks, don't know age of your other queens but (if nothing else) you may then have a choice of queens for wintering the combined colony?

If you have an another hive, take from there a frame of emerging bees and give it to the swarm.

Give to the swarm a warm insulated hive and solid bottom. It helps much in building up.

When the queen has layed frames full, take another frame of emergng bees fron the other hive. After that the swarm can manage with its own.

Thanks Finman. There may be a window of fairish weather tomorrow so I'll get them into a better box with a solid floor.
I got my first bees at the end of May. It certainly keeps you on your toes!
I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

Latest posts

Back