Moving a hive 90 degrees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMargo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got my first bees earlier this year and they live in the garden of a neighbour of mine, as my own garden isn't big enough. The part of her garden the hive is in was not being used for anything.

The lady whose garden it is has just called me to say that a friend of hers wants to reclaim an old vegetable patch in the garden, which is in front of the hive, but is nervous about the bees.

(Starting a new veg patch isn't really an option, for various reasons. ;) )

They have asked whether we could move the hive through 90 degrees so that instead of the entrance facing south across the garden, it would face west, where there is a hedge (into a field) about 6 foot from where the hive currently is.

SO my questions are:-

1. If we simply move the hive 90 degrees, are the bees likely to have any difficulty in reorienting themselves and finding the 'new' entrance?

2. Would it be better to try to move it in the late evening or after dark when most/all the bees are inside, or early in the day so they have all day to sort out where the entrance is?

3. Would moving the hive 90 degree be likely to cause them to change their flight paths so they don't all go streaming across where she wants to reclaim the old veg patch?

Any other suggestions?

Also, id there a minimum distance I should leave between the hive and the hedge, if we do rotate the hive? I think the hedge is about 6 foot from the hive but it may be closer. - if so, would you move the hive (say) 1-2 foot sideways at the same time as rotating it 90 degrees, or do the to separately with few days in between?

Many thanks for your help.

Moving it ninety degrees wouldn't really be much of an issue, but to make sure, turn it 45 degrees, wait a day or two then finish moving it.
early morning move would be better.
Six feet or even less is fine

The best thing to do would be to put six foot ( plus if possible) trellis round the hives. That would push them above head height. The main problem is getting between the bees and where they are going or coming from, but if you get them up above head height then they will be no problem.
E

The next request will probably be...would you please move the bees out of the garden altogether, as the veg gardener is still nervous about them being there.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I hoped that turning the hive wouldn't be a problem but it's good to have some reassurance.

The lady whose garden it is is very enthusiastic about the bees, so I don't think she would force them out, but obviously I don't want either her, or her gardening friend to feel uncomfortable!

I did wonder about mesh / netting along the edge of the garden bed to force the bees up and over - am I right in thinking that they would go up rather than round? (i.e. could we get away with (say) one 6 foot panel next to the hive rather than fencing the entire length of the garden bed)

It doesn't take much to get their flight path over peoples heads, so I would start with one panel where you think is best and see what happens. Try and avoid something that could blow down and hit the hive though. I've used the green wind-break netting around mine. Doesn't look too bad and if it comes off the posts it shouldn't do any damage.

The answer to that is to charm the veg. gardener.
Offer to do a bit of digging for them or weeding when they're on holiday.

And get a spare suit and introduce them to your bees.
I find even nervous people get intrigued by bees when the see they're no hide threat.

Dusty

Moving it ninety degrees wouldn't really be much of an issue, but to make sure, turn it 45 degrees, wait a day or two then finish moving it.
early morning move would be better.
Six feet or even less is fine

If they can access the OMF by crawling under the hive stand then I would also close off access to the OMF from underneath. Mine landed where the old entrance was, crawled under the hive stand and congregated under the OMF!

If they can access the OMF by crawling under the hive stand then I would also close off access to the OMF from underneath. Mine landed where the old entrance was, crawled under the hive stand and congregated under the OMF!

:yeahthat::iagree:

Personally, in my very limited experience, I find OMFs more hassle than they're worth.

Just to update - I moved the hive this morning - lots of bees on the outside where the entrance used to be, to start with, but they seemed to have worked it all out by this evening.

Thanks again for the advice.:thanks:

Latest posts

Back