Moving 2 hives in the next month ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambodach

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How much of a rsik is it for me to move 2 hives 20m or so over the next month?

There's some garden renovations by a professional gardener to be done and circumstances occurred last year that ended up with 2 of my now 3 hives some 20m from what I regard as my apiary area.

I did this once before in the summer many years ago over a shorter distance by turning the hive entrance through three steps of 30 degrees such that the entrance was away from the direction of travel, and then moving the hive a couple of metres every 2nd day.

That worked fine but would it be regarded as safe for me to do the same at this time of year?

How much of a rsik is it for me to move 2 hives 20m or so over the next month?
No risk, in this kind of weather/time of year - unless you're expecting a couple of really fine days I'd just move them in one go and be done with, in fact, I'd probably do it whatever the weather.
To be honest, the only time I'd say there was a risk is if it was during an exceptionally cold period of really arctic frosts, then there would be a danger of them breaking a tight cluster and chilling.

Latest posts

Back