"Move to" apiary site in West London / Surrey wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
I have found through experience and through the advice on the beginners section that is important to have a location where you can move a hive in case you have issues with temperament. This second site is particularly important for suburban bee keepers who need to move a defensive hive because issues to the neighbourhood.

Is there anyone in my region who could help?

Looking at your join date, it is fairly clear that it is not just beginners that need to be told, time and time again, to heed that advice.

Ask your local BKA?

If you have a local community group on facebook you could try posting there.

Is there anyone in my region who could help?

I'm too far away to help but you might consider looking on Google Earth for likely spots then approach the landowner and ask if you can set up an apiary there.
Obviously, you'd want to avoid public footpaths, schools, etc but look for protection from the prevailing wind.

I'm too far away to help but you might consider looking on Google Earth for likely spots then approach the landowner and ask if you can set up an apiary there.
Obviously, you'd want to avoid public footpaths, schools, etc but look for protection from the prevailing wind.

Me too!

Church yards and cemeteries can be a good secluded place for bees...... however you would need to find one that is not active with new internments or a lot of visitors...

One savage defensive colony( NOT MINE !!!) caused chaos in Kelliwick's garden of remembrance.... with mourners and even the grave diggers getting unwelcome interest from the bees .......

Chons da

Looking at your join date, it is fairly clear that it is not just beginners that need to be told, time and time again, to heed that advice.

Ask your local BKA?

Twickenham BKA have been unhelpful. Have sent them several messages and asks in different ways.

Thanks all. Some good suggestions. Will continue the search...

I had an interestingly large colony this year. The occasion was apparently the going over of the OSR. I was getting a bit of a pasting, so after a brief inspection, I shut up and retreated 75m to the car. The smoker had been given a good seeing to but personally it was restricted to pinging the veil a lot.

I was about to lift the tailgate on the car when I heard shouting and barking. The large dog wanted to go back down the hill/lane where it wasn't getting stung and the dog walker wanted to continue on. He never noticed me, so I temporarily bent down as he passed. I don't suppose that he was likely to want to stop and talk . . .

Two days later they were as good as gold. Lack of their OSR fix definitely made them tetchy on the day though.

Fortunately the local horse riding school had packed up for the day. I did advise the owner, and arranged a supersedure cell re-queening - PDQ. That impacted the summer performance of course.

A big hotel with large grounds was my saviour once! Don't know your area.
E

Back