Mouseguards and winter ventilation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We in the UK don't have such mouse guards to use Michael .
Truth be told, I would much rather have snakes than mice or rats.... Pests!
Even the venomous ones here are quite, uuum, harmless, if you understand what I mean .... If left alone that is!

Did you buy or make the floors with underfloor entrances?
Yes lots of us make Emyr's floors. They are great. My only modifications are to make them a little deeper as I am on top space, to add a hole for the sublimox above the OMF at the back and to make the entrance half way back thereby reducing the area of the OMF by half

Have you tried under hive entrances with solid floors? Thinking more of the nucs here, I've made a few like this and with underfloor insulation ;)
I have thought about it since I saw the photos you posted. At the moment the nucs are on UFE OMF

Have you tried under hive entrances with solid floors? Thinking more of the nucs here, I've made a few like this and with underfloor insulation ;)

"Underfloor insulation?" Stop messing with my head. I've just got used to open mesh floors and top insulation. :banghead: :laughing-smiley-014

That particular group is renowned for beginners giving each other advice based on who knows what!
Correction - beginners giving each other bad advice based on bad advice given to them by self acclaimed 'experts' :(

That particular group is renowned for beginners giving each other advice based on who knows what!
Even Jonathan Getty has given up trying to help
Oh I came off that group. It seemed like the blind leading the partially sighted!

My views, I don't like mouse guards and i don't use them.

Reasons..
1. Early spring pollen can get knocked of while trying to get through the holes.
When they do toilet duties over the winter/spring there restrictive.

I have my inspection boards in all winter and some colonys have a super nadired as a wind break
Entrances are 50mmx8mm some are 25mmx9mm.
Hives are elivated more of the ground for winter to.
I've not had mouse/shrew problems since I've been beeking!
And I've not lost a colony either.

Most of my colonys are 450m and above sea level on a windy hill side.
What works for me, might not work for a beekeeper in the valley.
I do not understand your reasons for not liking mouse guards. What size mice live in your area?
I have permanent gratings at 6mm spacing in my hive entrance. The bees are able to negotiate the entrance grating easily. Any mouse that can squeeze through that size grating would have to be very small.

I do not understand your reasons for not liking mouse guards. What size mice live in your area?
I have permanent gratings at 6mm spacing in my hive entrance. The bees are able to negotiate the entrance grating easily. Any mouse that can squeeze through that size grating would have to be very small.
It's not just mice to think about shrews as well.
I've given my reasons above, all from my observations.
2. Having a full mouse guard is way to much of a draft in my colonys.
3. I have 6 cats also there my mouse guards.

i have always (5 years) kept the block in and put a mouse guard over the top....people say i should remove entrance block but cant see why

any views?
the reason for taking the block out is that with the reduced size of the entrance behind the mouseguard raises the risk of the bees not being able to clear the entrance of the dead and being trapped inside.

ah, ok, thanks for that....i did cut the bottom of the circular holes on the guard to make it similar width to the middle of hole like a tear drop if you get me and they seemed to remove dead bees ok and its still mouse proof but thanks as every for the explanation...

Latest posts

Back