Mouseguard Flaws ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi All
Called in at the Apiary on my way home, particularly because of the high winds, my greenhouse is smashed to peices, but bees & hives intact.

I noticed one hive had many bees battling to get bodies out of the circular holes in the mouseguard.

I removed the guard, and cleared those that i could without touching the bottom of the cluster, and i then replaced, making sure that the bottom circles were level with the bottom of the floor, pins in and bish bosh away we go.

I did however sit there for a few minutes and watched them again struggling to get these bodies out through those holes, some would ping out at speed and hit the floor, get cold and not return, while the bodies just mount up inside the entrance.

I realise its better to keep the mice away as they would be devastating, but surely there is a better design of Mouseguard out there ? i have only seen the circular ones at Thornes.

Any ideas ?

You can also get mouse guards with small arches. but if you are worried about the one's you have and your floors are good why not mount them on your hive entrance just leaving a small entrance below the mouse guard,cut a couple of 6mm strips of wood,insert into entrance and then fit your guards,remove strips of wood when guard is fitted,you can use any strip of metal if you do it this way.or get good fitting entrance blocks. Keep an eye on them every once in a while just to check mice are not knawing holes anywhere.

Last edited:
Back