Mouse guard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belley

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all, I was just wondering when I should remove the mouse guard from the entrance to my national hive?? All advice gratefully received. :thanks:

Suggest you do it tomorrow

richard

edit:

or if the hive's at home, go out and do it now!

Last edited:
Yes mouse guards can start to come off now Belley I have removed most but a couple still on and will get round to it when I get to the hives for their first inspection.

Would remove the mouse guard and put reduced entrance block in
E

It's forecast -2C overnight next week here. Should I be waiting till after all risk of frost has passed? Or is a light frost of no concern?

Should I be waiting till after all risk of frost has passed?

Middle of May might be reasonably expected to be frost free, but not certain by any means. I have seen it snowing in June at my location.

Some common sense required here. If bees are not clustered, any incursion by mice will be defended.

I cannot really understand the lack of movement away from mouse guards now OMFs are the favoured floor type. It only needs an entrance of one bee height, not 22mm. I do not make any other defence on my hives with the minimum height entrances.

:yeahthat:
All my poly hives have slotted bee space entrances.
My one remaining wooden hive has (after the under floor entrance debacle) been reconverted to front entrance. Entrance block has a 200 x 7mm slot.
Never need mouse guards again :)

.....now OMFs are the favoured floor type. It only needs an entrance of one bee heigh

totally agree with O.....mouse guards where only needed when the front entrance was the sole source of bottom ventilation.

Latest posts

Back