mouse guard, why bother?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
The holes in the mouseguard (purchased from thornes) are wider than the slot in the entrance bock? why bother fitting one at all?

They make more sense if you're running without the entrance block in place. Both my hives are running with entrance blocks (and have been since they were nucs in June). I'm assuming that if you are using an OMF, then you don't need to remove the entrance blocks in the winter.

The holes in the mouseguard (purchased from thornes) are wider than the slot in the entrance bock? why bother fitting one at all?

The hole in the mouse guards are just that !. the slot it an entrance block is a different matter . Mice have a broad relatively flat skull which allows them to squeeze through small gaps. the width of the skull prevents it from being pushed through a hole of the same dimensions :).

John Wilkinson

:iagree:

Victor is right; the holes in the mouse guard should be a maximum of 9mm diameter, and mouseguards should be in place just before the bees start to cluster for the winter. (according to de Bruyn)

Blimey, can a mouse get though an entrance block?

*rushes off to Thornes to buy some mouse guards....*

:)

Victor is right; the holes in the mouse guard should be a maximum of 9mm diameter, and mouseguards should be in place just before the bees start to cluster for the winter. (according to de Bruyn)

Fitted my mouse guards at the weekend, a couple of the frames had huge holes in the wax, only explanation i could think of was mice so mouse guards fitted.

thanks for the explanation, I'll be fitting them a bit later on when the bees slow down a bit for the winter.

Ever precisely measured a UK supplied mouseguard recently?

They all seem to have bigger than 9mm holes and are much bigger than the standard pencil test.

Latest posts

Back