Mouldy bee suit cleaning.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
Where my bee jacket has been hanging in my van for a while it's developed mould on the sleeve. Any suggested recommendations for getting rid of this?
Soaking in washing soda and washing has made no difference.

Where my bee jacket has been hanging in my van for a while it's developed mould on the sleeve. Any suggested recommendations for getting rid of this?
Mine stayed black for years! Never did get the mould out before I bought a new suit. I always keep it inside now!

Have you tried some sodium hypochlorite or perhaps even better, vinegar?

Soak in a very strong solution of Hypochlorite for half an hour or so then bung straight in the washing machine did wonders for a badly mould marked suit for me last year.

was going to soak in a bleach solution....strong for 30 mins rather than weaker for longer?

Vanish is your friend. Google " Vanish Oxi spray".
Spray at least 24 hours before washing.

Thanks for the advice. I'm on the vinegar trial at the moment. Next bleach then I'll get some oxi spray.👍

Probably not, it's been like it for a while and I've had no complaints from the girls....... it's SWMBO who's giving me grief!! 😂

keep me posted
I forgot to update you!

I tried all the ideas and found that hanging outside and spraying the mould areas with vinegar worked best. I think the UV did the job.
The suits stayed on the line for about 3 days until SWMBO turfed them off.

I forgot to update you!

I tried all the ideas and found that hanging outside and spraying the mould areas with vinegar worked best. I think the UV did the job.
The suits stayed on the line for about 3 days until SWMBO turfed them off.

On white suits, one part thick bleach in three parts water followed by a warm/hot wash worked for me. Not dared to use that on anything other than white though. Vinegar limited success- did you just spray and leave it outside?

On white suits, one part thick bleach in three parts water followed by a warm/hot wash worked for me. Not dared to use that on anything other than white though
I've used a 50/50 mix of dairy hypochlorite straight from the can and water on my sage coloured suits and done them no harm so an off the shelf supermarket bleach isn't going to harm them

On white suits, one part thick bleach in three parts water followed by a warm/hot wash worked for me. Not dared to use that on anything other than white though. Vinegar limited success- did you just spray and leave it outside?
Yeah, but to be honest I think having the sun on them for a few days bleached the marks. .... they are only light grey now! :laughing-smiley-014

Cooking salt. Make a paste and spread it onto the mould and leave overnight. We had a carpet with a black and green mould patch after the builders had finished our extension. We had placed a fridge on the carpet of the spare room for weeks not realising the condensation was wetting the carpet. Tried all sorts to no avail. Just poured a full tub of salt on it one night and it and vacuumed it up the following day. The mark had gone!!

Latest posts

Back