mould on cover board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all. I lifted the roof on the hive yesterday and could see some mould growth in one corner of the cover board. Is this a problem to worry about? And is there anything I should do about it? Thanks.

Yes.

Might be if you have a solid floor.

Is the roof leaking?

What insulation do you have fitted?

Not very much information to go on, really, for a decent chance of good advice - so many possibilities/scenarios/causes/etc.

Analysis of the actual situation will probably reveal the extent to which you should be worrying.

Regards, RAB

Mould grows in the right conditions, mostly damp and with a bit of a food source, but that maybe nothing more than air contamination oh and did I mention damp?

It's been a pretty damp warm autumn, ideal conditions for mould growth, so you perhaps need to look first to see if any moisture can be getting onto your cover board. The warmth from the bees cluster will keep the inside of the hive dry, your mould spot may be too far away from the cluster for that heat to have any effect, so your mould spot could just be from excess moisture in the hive or too far away to dry, rather than anything getting in.

Check to make sure there are no visible leaks.

I would question why you are looking anyway, as I'm kind of of the opinion that the bees have been put to bed for the winter, we've dealt with the nasties (for now) we should have fed enough to last through the winter, no good can come of sneaking a peek every now and then, all you are doing is worrying yourself and allowing a blast of cold damp air into the hive.

Frisbee

Thanks for the feedback. The hive is on an open mesh floor and I lifted the roof to feed them some fondant. I guess it is just a damp spot (so to speak)...

Sounds suspiciously like a lack of insulation above the crownboard, to me. As usual, just a guess - as only 'reading between the lines' information from the poster.

RAB

I would agree that it is lack of insulation.

It possibly needs pointing out that ventilated floors when first trialled were done so hand in hand with insulating above the CB. They go together.

So. If you have coolness below it should be balanced by warmth above.

This is relatively new, and will not be in many books. Or for that matter on the web. Open mesh floors came in first (pre Varroa) in the early to mid 80's so in beekeeping terms yesterday. LOL

PH

Last edited:
Is there anything to be gained (or lost) by putting the varroa counting tray in place under the open mesh floor to stop cold/damp air from entering the hive, either instead of or as well as insulating above the crown board?

I had the same problem on one of my hives, the winter quilt I had made from with an old cushion cover had started to get mildewed and spread to the wood, I replaced it with a plastic coated quilt.

Is it possible that your ventilation is'nt as good as it could be at the top of the hive, are the vents in the roof working and clear, mine are covered in a fine gauze and they get filled up with propolis and crap sometimes.

chris

On a similar theme:

I put the varoa board in last week & when I checked it there was a puddle of water (condensation?) under the cluster. I spotted this thread & added 1" of polystyrene above the crownboard, but the problem remains.

Thornes National hive with OMF on stand 1' off ground. The feed holes in the crown board are sealed & I haven't lifted the crown board for extra ventilation.

What am I doing wrong?

Definately check the ventilation in the roof.
Mine was clogged with dirt.
There isnt much ventilation there because of the mesh,
maybe none at, all if if like me, you put the hive together yourself.

The basic is that the stuff has some suitable dirty or food to mould. When it gets moist, mould start to grow.

Moisture is not only reason to get mold.

Dry conditions depends basicly on temperature difference between outside and inside.

When hive is warm, it keeps more moisture than cold air. So happends dew point and condensation.

One basic point is ventilation. You move moisture out from hive via ventilation holes. Part of moisture goes through material and meet there dewpoint.

So basics:

- pack the bees to the smallest space before winter feeding. No extra boxes or extra frames.
- warm hive
- enough vetilation but not so much that the hive is cold.
- bee cluster makes the heat and hive construction hinder the heat to move outside.

- lead condensation on inner walls.
- keep in inner cover so much insulation that no condensation happens.
- Don't give food stuff to moulds
- Don't block moisture movement with plastic sheets or similar / respirative material

Last edited:
On a similar theme:

I put the varoa board in last week & when I checked it there was a puddle of water (condensation?) under the cluster.?

It is because it is colder under the cluster and moist respiration air meets cold surface.

Now we have about - 15- -20C temp here and if I open the hive, I see snow on inner walls, because condesation water makes those ice crystals.

When it comes warm, crystals melt and water drills onto bottom and comes out from hives.

The uper part of hive is warm and stay dry.

Latest posts

Back