Mould/mildew on beesuit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_H

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just thought I would mention before I resorted to getting any repairs done

My bee suit (top half) having been left in my shed has developed Mould/mildew. Not sure which (it’s black). One particular concentrated area and more spread over the rest,including inside and outside of the hood . Washed it couple times,without making much of a difference.

Been looking into cleaning and removing this first,if possible. But having read that black Mould/mildew can be damaging to your health,is it worth trying to remove this? Would some spores still remain?

My bee suit (top half) having been left in my shed has developed Mould/mildew. Not sure which (it’s black). One particular concentrated area and more spread over the rest,including inside and outside of the hood . Washed it couple times,without making much of a difference.

Been looking into cleaning and removing this first,if possible. But having read that black Mould/mildew can be damaging to your health,is it worth trying to remove this? Would some spores still remain?

Had the same on a Simon the Beek jacket, bleach was the only thing that worked and got rid of it. Be very careful to make sure bleach doesn't ruin your suit though, maybe test a small area first?
S

I had a bit of this ... so moved it inside and it dried out and now it just looks a bit scruffy but is fine

My bee suit was destroyed with black mold after leaving it in shed , I think it's not a great idea folding up a sweaty bee suit lesson learned

Had the same with my first suit. Always store it in the dry and warm. Lived with the mould for 25 years till my second suit!!!! Still alive!
E

Try using Milton's fluid...sterilises and gently bleaches.

For best results try every suggestion sequentially....if it's not whiter than white after that then you get's yer money back ;)

Had the same on a Simon the Beek jacket, bleach was the only thing that worked and got rid of it. Be very careful to make sure bleach doesn't ruin your suit though, maybe test a small area first?
S

Yeah will test small first.

Speaking of Simon the BK, are his cheap jackets worth getting? Need one for my part time assistant and thought it might do the trick

Yeah will test small first.

Speaking of Simon the BK, are his cheap jackets worth getting? Need one for my part time assistant and thought it might do the trick

I use one for most visits and find it very good, but I have very calm bees. Any swarms or over agitated bees, I wear a full BBWear suit
S

I use one for most visits and find it very good, but I have very calm bees. Any swarms or over agitated bees, I wear a full BBWear suit
S

My favorite garb is a Abelo jacket and round veil, worn with a pair of cheap Asda work jeans. Only once had a sting through the jeans when I stopped down and trapped a bee behind my knee.
Worked fine sorting out a few aggressive hives.

Latest posts

Back