Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

beeboybee 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 + Nucs
Driving again this weekend thinking about my new hive and when too get some bee's, i started thinking how nice it would be if all the thousands of acres of motorway grassy areas where planted with wildflowers for our bee's rather than just grass and the occasional young dead tree!
just thinking out loud really so exited about getting some bee's

Widdershins 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
...you could always make wildflower-seed-bombs, and chuck 'em out the car window as you drive along the motorways..... ;)

shonabee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Mine love love LOVE dandelions.... of course none would dare grow in my immaculate lawn (ahem) but plenty on the grass verges along the roads...

marcros 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I thought that there was an interesting bit on the 'who killed the honeybees' programme about the urban beekeeper.

industrial estates (to a degree), wastelands, railway lines, urban areas must produce some interesting flower mixes.

beeboybee 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 + Nucs
i had visions of he councils planting wildflower seed rather than grass seed in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nature-smiley-014::nature-smiley-014:

Widdershins 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
...then maybe you should do a bit of what they call 'guerilla gardening'!

Geoff 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
i had visions of he councils planting wildflower seed rather than grass seed in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nature-smiley-014::nature-smiley-014:
Some already do. I have bought seed from Emorsgate Seeds who produce native wildflower seed here in the UK. In their catalogue they have some good photographs of where some enlightened councils have used their seed on roadsides, roundabouts etc. On the A55 dual carriageway through North Wales there is one council that has used wildflower seed. In spring there is a mass of cowslips on the embankments.
Unfortunately Shropshire is not an enlightened council.

Widdershins 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Then perhaps we need to hound our respective councils to grow wildflowers - surely, with the media etc in regards to doomed honey bees, they have to listen?! Worth a try!!

Geoff 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Having been involved with a council who don't think they have an obligation to provide allotments despite a huge number of people wanting them and an act of parliament that says they should.
Words like head, brick wall and banging come to mind.:(

When I first saw this topic title it made me think of that old joke......

Q. Whats the last thing that passes through a fly's brain when it hits a car windscreen?

A. Its arse!

Last edited:

hedgerow pete 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
national
i have been vandalizing scrap land for years with bee flowers and shrubs and hedgerows with trees for evan longer, my father used to plant 500 trees each year where the hedgerow wanted it or not, i personaly have this year plant 100 oak trees, 20 elms,40 ash and around 100 horse chestnut and 30 sweet chestnut plus i have seeded 16 kilos of sunflowers and a 25kg bag of wild flower seeds that does not account on home saved seeds and flower heads, stick them in a soil filled news paper envelope and chuck them every where but do not do motorway verges we spray them four times a year with a growth retardant to slow the grasses down plus the seed mixture is very selected to only be slow growing any way

Latest posts