Moth Balls

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyanwood

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Is it safe to use moth balls to keep supers free from wax moth??

Bought them in the ?1 shop. They are 99.6% paradichlorobezene. I thought that was what Ted Hooper recommended?

They don't smell that nice. Will the honey smell of PDCB???

Should I use them?

Hi

The use of moth balls and pdb crystals was common, they are now however illegal and i think do leave residues in wax.

Regards Ian

Aaagghhh. I don't think so - it will stink the hive out:ack2: - and your wax--and your honey. I tried it once- couldn't get rid of the smell :svengo:- had to start again- But I was sold it from the bee farm shop....2 years ago.

I control the wax moth with carefully stacking all boxes and then totally covering with towels to seal any entrance. Any I am not sure of I put into a chest freezer for a week. Keep it natural :cheers2:
Heather

Hi

How big a gap does a wax moth need to get in through?

Is there a season for them?

With the cold weather recently (-3 max) will that have killed thim off?

Jim

I have stacked the supers with no gaps. That might keep them out.

I might put a few moth balls in the shed to discourage the moths, but not in the supers themselves I was surprised to see moth balls with that active ingredient. Maybe it hasn't been banned or maybe because Peckham feels a bit like the wild west you can buy more of less anything there.

There were huge African land snails alive in a box for sale to eat this morning.

PDB crystals used to be the standard weapon for wax moth control in stored supers. Cold weather certainly won't be adequate protection

Stacking supers without gaps or sealing them is no help if wax moth eggs are alpeady on the frames and in the cracks in the supers

Hi Blossom

I see you live in Somerset, do I know you?

Regards;

No idea, I'm at Cannington. How about you

My apologies, you are not the person whom I thought you might bee.
Welcome to the forum and the fantastic world of beekeeping.

Regards;

Blossom has lots of knowledge about wax moth.

The insides of the hives he has given me are full of indents from where the cocoons have been.

:biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Still I remember all the talk about gift horses and mouths so I'll shut up now

:grouphug:

Frisbee

No apology needed Bcrazy. The first sentence of your post was almost exactly what my x-wife said to me more than once!

Latest posts

Back