Moss.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Who has tips for the best way to get rid of moss from my "lawn".

I pulled a lot out during the summer but a lot of it has come back...

Dont want to start spraying too much chemical stuff around as there are two hives there.

I don't bother. Our drainage is all wrong.

My next door neighbour did bother. One mini excavator, two new field drains, stripped all old turf, laid new topsoil, sand then new turf.

Rolled it. Watered it during dry spell.

Then fell ill and I have cut it for the past two years!.

That is how to do it thoroughly...bee-smillie

If the lawn isn't too big and it is in sun for most of the day you can spike it and brush sand into the holes. A hollow tined thingy is best but a garden fork will work as well. Keep doing this and after a few years the surface drainage should improve enough to reduce or eliminate the moss - but it will take a while. A single treatment won't be enough.

Alternatively, strip off the moss and grass (the moss will not compost so must be disposed of) and then rotavate in lots of sharp sand into the top layer and re-seed.

If the lawn is in shade most of the day I think you will struggle to remove the moss.

You can use a scarifier its basically an electric rake it will make the lawn look awefull but it gives the grass a chance to fight back. You can get moss in the lawn from cutting it too short. Its best to scarify, seed, use a hollow tine then brush in sand as this helps the seed go into the holes the tine made.
I have an on going battle with my lawn and am starting to win.

I don't have a LAWN - I have a mixture of moss and weeds (flowering for the bees) with a little grass to fill in the spaces:D

Well thanks for all the replies everybody, but I think I might just settle for the fact that it's the same colour as the grass then...

We got rid of the moss in the shady part of the garden by scarifying the surface forking sharp sand and compost over it and planting a poultry ley which we let grow long,cutting twice a year like a wild flower meadow.

Before

And one month after

We have also added wild flowers for damp places and the whole area is doing very well.

sprinkle a small amount of garden lime all over lawn, it makes the the grass lovely dark green and kills the moss. :chillpill:
John
Happy new year every one ;)

Back