Mosquito problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
Hi all
I live next to a mosquito ridden swamp. (It's really a very pretty nature reserve, home to the rare Raft Spider.)
This year the mozzy levels are extremely high so that any gardening is impossible without thick clothes and mozzy spray. (I've taken to picking my strawberries in my beesuit.)
I'm not really happy to cover myself in DEET everyday. Does anyone know of a reliable product which isn't full of synthetic chemicals which will keep the mozzies away and also not upset my bees if I have the spray on when I beek?

(Is that a new verb - to beek?)

Ta
Cazza

Hi Rab
I will try citronella but as I usually garden at 6.30 a.m.ish and beek after work (p.m),I will still smell of the stuff. How do you think the bees will react?
Cazza

Bee's like it, and are attracted to Citronella,don't know why the mosquito's should dislike it though.

Not so much keen as stupid!
Real reason is back problems, can't sleep past 6, big garden....lure of weeding!
Cazza

When I was your title Mosquito problem
I thought you were talking about me.. :laughing-smiley-004

Is there something you'd like to tell us?

OP there's always the midge head nets they sell in Milletts for DofE etc. Not very fetching but no odder than a beesuit.

Try Avon "skin So Soft"

It's what they use in Scotland for the midges.

Never tried it myself as I've always avoided the mid-summer months.

Thanks for the ideas. I think the midge net might be good for popping out without mozzy stuff on. "Skin so soft" sounds good too.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back