Morning!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello all, I’m beemum (on account of those two things making up most of my waking hours!) and I live in the Yorkshire Dales. This is my second year attempting to keep bees, and I currently have one colony in a brood box and another in a nuc (some of the brood box bees which swarmed a few weeks ago). I’ve got loads to learn and no doubt I’m making all the right mistakes in the wrong order…

Hello beemum, welcome. How are you enjoying beekeeping so far?

:welcome: You're in good company here lots of us are still " making all the right mistakes in the wrong order…" :nature-smiley-013:

Mistakes happen, anyone saying otherwise has a severe case of the Dunning Kruger syndrome. It is what we do once a mistake is identified that is important... its about the only thing I am good at, learning from my mistakes, my dad told me to learn from the mistakes of others but I can never seem to do that lol.

Have you got a bee club/ association nearby and if so have you joined? The advantages of that membership far outweigh the yearly subs, plus you get bdi insurance. You may find a local beek who you can pick the phone up and ask or can chuck you a spare queen or frame bias it could save you £££ and heartache! If not here is the next best option.

This is in no way meant as a criticism, but, as others have suggested, you may benefit from a rethink on your hive type. Most people use Nationals because there is loads of choice re manufacturers which means loads of different price points for all the necessary kit. The thing that I've learned about bees is... they don't play by human rules and they do like to expand... which is where having interchangeable kit pays off.

Anyway, welcome. 🙂

Latest posts

Back