more than 1 egg in cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timk40

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
I checked one of my hives today to see if my new queen (emerged 3 weeks ago) has mated and started laying. I saw eggs but alo noticed some cells had 2 and 3 eggs in. I hav'nt seen this before so not sure if this is normal or not with a newly mated quenn. If not normal can you you tell me what is going on?

Tim

the buzz

:nopity:looks like no queen pressant:nopity::nopity: you got laying workers ,re queen A.S.P,:banghead:

People on this forum have said it is quite normal for a newly mated queen to do this. No doubt some will shortly confirm this.

Buzz,30+ colonies?

Tim,give the hive a week and HM should settle down,it is very common for a newly mated queen to missfire the first few days.

I agree with those above its a new queen too eager to lay.
Don't worry the young bees tend to sort the eggs out so only one remains until the queen learns.

FYI: Drone laying workers can struggle to lay the eggs at the bottom of the cells so you may find them on the cell walls if they are fully drawn out and you may also find several eggs per cell.

Multiple eggs in cells is very common with new queens that have just started to lay. The workers quickly correct the error by destroying the surplus eggs.

In the case of laying workers, egg laying is very scattered. And because of the shorter abdomens that workers have, the eggs mostly get deposited on the cell sides and not the cell base. And with laying workers, after opening the hive you quickly get the feeling that your colony is screwed.

:nopity:looks like no queen pressant:nopity::nopity: you got laying workers ,re queen A.S.P,:banghead:

Hmm, a little hasty me feels!

I also had this with a new mated Q last year.
as said before give it a little more time and she should settle down

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back