More supering questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Does it matter how many frames there are in a super. As I didnt get a chance to put any on last year I have put 2 supers of foundation on 2 hives. (1 at a time). First one drawn out and filled in a week the second I have to look at this weekend. Now I put them in with 11 frames in. Does it just mean I will have more work to do? or does it mean by having more frames you get less honey?

Usually find 11 used with foundation.

After the initial drawing out a bigger space between frames can be left so 9 or 10 are in order. This is usually in the second year or after extraction. They will be drawn wider by the workers so, theoretically, the same amount of honey, or more even, in 9 frames than 11. Sometimes the wider frames can be deemed more difficult to uncap prior to extraction.

Peter

Ten is the minimum amount you can use with foundation,then space to eight if you wish,yes you get more honey with less frames,you need a good flow for eight to avoid the bee's building to much brace comb.

Thanks for the answers. As I only have foundation this year I think I will leave the eleven in to get them drawn out and reduce next year. :cheers2:

Ten is the minimum amount you can use with foundation,then space to eight if you wish

Well, I've just finished making up the Manley 1 3/4" frames and putting foundation in them and there is only 8 that will fit in the box. ( Have been a bit put off using castellations in the supers.) Is the way to avoid brace comb to mix them up with the other drawn frames until they are drawn?

Last edited:
How many use the plastic spacers? are the metal castellated spacers better?

In a national super if you use eight frames they need to be drawn comb,no foundation. foundation with ten spacing,or mixture of both drawn comb and foundation.

I used metal at first but thay can get bent and distort. I did go to plastic spaces but am moving more to castellated bars now. The down side is they are not easy to change were as spaces are.

Mike.

They are easy to change if they fit into the kerf cut,just lift them out.

Well, I've just finished making up the Manley 1 3/4" frames and putting foundation in them and there is only 8 that will fit in the box. ( Have been a bit put off using castellations in the supers.) Is the way to avoid brace comb to mix them up with the other drawn frames until they are drawn?

That's odd. I can get 10 Manley frames in my super boxes with no need for any dummy boards.

Correct,ten to a national,think polys is langstroth.

So what metal castellations should i get, 8/9/10 spaced?

Ten is good if you are starting with foundation,and also makes good,correct size combs if you wish to produce cut comb. I only use ten and eight.

A cut you can have in the super next to the fixed runner,this cut is to allow a castellated spacer to fit in,rest in,the frame lugs are still supported by the fixed runner. kerf cut,means the thickness of a saw blade.

Hivemaker im not wanting to do cut comb so what size would you reccomend? I will wait to get the castellated spacers in a sale.

castellations

we use 9 frame castellations with drone foundation no problems in our national super boxes easier to extract we found combs come out the extractor
a lot dryer also no messsing about with spacer clips.

Latest posts

Back