More osr around this autumn/winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farm where I had my bees this season (although weather was bad early spring) has just given me 2 more sites to place hives next season & crops looking good so far. Just hope we don’t have a late prolonged winter so the bees can get on it. Looking at between 6-9 hives over 3 sites 😀

I suppose as there wasnt so many fields around this spring, the price would be worth the shot, hopefully we don't have a spring like the one we had this year.
Im not really best pleased as 30 colonys have it on there doorstep.
Hopefully the fields that are going to be planted adjacent to the apiarys are more to their liking because it could end up being very interesting next spring.

To be honest first season my bees found it obviously in range of my apiary I was unprepared and didn’t know how to deal with it. I hated the stuff. Learned for my second season and now customers can’t get enough

I suppose as there wasnt so many fields around this spring, the price would be worth the shot, hopefully we don't have a spring like the one we had this year.
Im not really best pleased as 30 colonys have it on there doorstep.
Hopefully the fields that are going to be planted adjacent to the apiarys are more to their liking because it could end up being very interesting next spring.
If you have a market for it then capitalise
I’m a hobby keeper. I find the taste bland and characterless. It’s ok to make soft set so I usually source a little every year from another beekeeper. I personally wouldn’t bother with it. In fact when we were house hunting in 2011 it was one of the first things I looked at to avoid. 😂😂
But lots of people like it so if your bees fill your supers what’s not to like ?

Fair point all, after all the more supers the better, my bank manager doesn't like honey I've tried selling her some, a sweetener some might say:giggle:.
She looks like a dog that has peed on a thistle

Fair point all, after all the more supers the better, my bank manager doesn't like honey I've tried selling her some, a sweetener some might say:giggle:.
She looks like a dog that has peed on a thistle
Nevertheless she should be your friend

Nevertheless she should be your friend
She is and she has helped me no end over the years, apologies for the of the cuff comment,uncalled for and unnecessary
Probably one reason why I've stayed with the same bank, I even landscaped her garden a few years ago.

OSR is one of the most profitable crops for farmers here in southern Sweden, so those farmers who earlier didnt are now including it in their 3 or 4-year plan. It is also good for the following crop
How are you coping with the cabbage stem flee beetle over there @Sanntos?
Being as the flee beetle are pretty much resistant to pryethriod insecticides?

OSR is a pain for me. Where I have my bees, OSR is within foraging range every year in one direction or another. I always get Spring honey that sets like concrete. I can make creamed honey, but my customers don't like it as much as liquid honey and most specifically ask for liquid, not set honey. I have ended up giving Solid Spring honey away to a chap who feeds it to his canaries

OSR is a pain for me. Where I have my bees, OSR is within foraging range every year in one direction or another. I always get Spring honey that sets like concrete. I can make creamed honey, but my customers don't like it as much as liquid honey and most specifically ask for liquid, not set honey. I have ended up giving Solid Spring honey away to a chap who feeds it to his canaries
Why feed it to the birds that's crazy, your bees have worked very hard to produce it, if I was in your sort of mind set and I'm not!, I would at least give it to friends and family but firstly sell it in bulk?
Im getting asked for buckets I'll come and collect it for free if you like?

How are you coping with the cabbage stem flee beetle over there @Sanntos?
Being as the flee beetle are pretty much resistant to pryethriod insecticides?
Had to look it up, so I dont know. I believe too much rain in autumn when seeds are planted is more of a concern for farmers around here, and also in spring because it is low above sea level, and creeks are flooding

Latest posts

Back