more fondant d.i.y.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbees2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just reading the forum regarding d.i.y. fondant. Can I use the boxed fondant icing sugar mixed with water - would that provide the same result. i have a box of silver spoon icing sugar and the ingrediants are just icing sugar and dried glucose syrup. Thanks.

not a good idea i think icing sugar has corn flour in it

not a good idea i think icing sugar has corn flour in it

Not so.
But you do mix cornflour with icing sugar before you use it to dust your home-made Turkish Delight.
That might be the source of the confusion.

"Fondant" icing sugar, as labelled by Silver Spoon, as stated above, just contains sugar and powdered glucose - nothing else.
As such, it should be fine - but distinctly expensive, more than double the cost of ordinary sugar.
I don't know how difficult it might be to get a smooth stiff mix with this stuff.
Keep us informed!

Last edited:
Icing sugar usually contains an anti caking agent, commonly silicon hexacyanofurrate. Safe for humans, probably sub 2%. OK for bees? Who knows. Pay your money, make your choice.

Icing sugar usually contains an anti caking agent, commonly silicon hexacyanofurrate. Safe for humans, probably sub 2%. OK for bees? Who knows. Pay your money, make your choice.
There's no declared anti-caking agent on Silver Spoon's packet.

I don't have a pack handy, but recall that the amount of anti-caking agent in Table Salt worked out at about a teaspoonful per ton of salt. Way less than 1%, about 1/200th of 1%.
And for salt, the anti-caking agent, and its concentration, has to be declared.

ADDED - the only odd thing on the Fondant Icing Sugar packet is the rather strange "may contain egg" ... :eek:

Last edited:
"the only odd thing on the Fondant Icing Sugar packet is the rather strange "may contain egg""

yes - once you've made your royal icing!

Pour 65% sugar syrup into combs. Use at least 5 kg sugar.

But first look if they have enough capped stores. Don't feed if they have.

It is very easy to mix to the right consistency, and there is plenty for me, (2hives). think the box cost just over a pound. There is no anti caking agent in it - although there is in the normal icing sugar. Will give this a go anyway. For someone like me who only has two hives I think this is probably quite cost and time effective. Cost more than a pound when I made my own, had to buy glucose as well. took ages , and was never quite right.

OP - i know you have a box of icing sugar to hand but that won't make much fondant ie only tinkering.
cheapest sugar is granulated. and bought fondant doesn't represent too much of a premium given the trials and tribulations of mixing up 12.5kg yourself.

Latest posts

Back