Moonlight

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beedons

New Bee
Reaction score
Two nights in a row I've been out in the garden late at night and noticed that the bees on both hives have formed a strip the entire length of the entrance with no clustering.

I don't know if this is normal behavour, but as the moon on both nights has been very bright and shines directly onto their hives, wondered whether this has anything to do with it.

Must admit, they looked a beautiful sight as it looked like they had gold glitter covering them.

I suppose if I can wait for a night when the moon isn't out, then it will answer my question, but too impatient for that!

How lovely! maybe they are reacting to the light or maybe enjoying the view! The moon affects most creatures but I am not aware of any impact on bees!

When I have been down at night I have never seen any outside (unless it is really hot), just a happy hum coming from inside. I am sure someone else may enlighten you !

Its not full moon until Sunday but I shall have to check mine now!

Perhaps they were fanning to evaporate the days nectar collection ?

John Wilkinson

mine do that since i started api, the funniest thing is that on two consecutive nights ive found several bees lounging on the roof bang on the witching hour of 2.00am:cool:

Latest posts

Back