Monty Don't

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isc26

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Please tell me I didn't just hear Monty Don tell the public on Gardeners World to get a top bar hive, call your local beekeeping association who will provide you with a swarm and then just leave them alone!

Yep, but he added that you should keep them in a small urban garden and let them do their own thing. They will not trouble anyone!
E

Sent a slightly hysterical reply to the BBC - honestly what a load of guff! The BBC should have been aware of BKAs and asked advice...

Yep, I almost threw something at the TV, what an idiot, might leave my phone off the hook as I can see that all the Eco friendly middle class in north London will be on the phone to their Local BKA and it is my Mobile on the BBKA site for my BKA
They are not getting any from me

He will henceforth be known as Monty Donut.

Yeah, almost choked on my Erdinger on the " you don't need much space a small urban garden will do "

Monty !!!much as I like him, need to do some homework before blurting out that ... misinformation

decided to complain http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

i am dismayed that the program suggested obtaining a swarm of Honey Bees from a local beekeepers organisation then leaving them unattended in a hive in urban gardens, it is us who will have to clear up the mess as unattended the hive will issue multiple swarms into the urban environment which is an environment that according to professor Ratniek of the laboratory of Apiculture and Social Insects, University of Sussex) has already far to many beehives. Hidden hives are a constant source of disease, including Varroa ,Deformed wing Virus ,European and american foul brood ,the later subject to destruction orders similar to Foot and Mouth disease

it is also a sure way of alienating beekeepers to the general public who fear swarms i have already had two calls from the XXXXX area asking it they can have a swarm, my answer ,No

decided to complain http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

i am dismayed that the program suggested obtaining a swarm of Honey Bees from a local beekeepers organisation then leaving them unattended in a hive in urban gardens, it is us who will have to clear up the mess as unattended the hive will issue multiple swarms into the urban environment which is an environment that according to professor Ratniek of the laboratory of Apiculture and Social Insects, University of Sussex) has already far to many beehives. Hidden hives are a constant source of disease, including Varroa ,Deformed wing Virus ,European and american foul brood ,the later subject to destruction orders similar to Foot and Mouth disease

it is also a sure way of alienating beekeepers to the general public who fear swarms i have already had two calls from the XXXXX area asking it they can have a swarm, my answer ,No
:iagree:
and I have also made a complaint to the BBC

I have also complained and asked them to correct the advice next week. Idiots.

Almost choked on my wine. Email sent to Gardners World, and I don't even have bees of my own yet. Still busy studying how to care for them.

1st rule of complaining.

Have the true facts & know what your complaining about!

Has any of the aforementioned irate "middle class trendies" (as the broadcasters like to portray us all at the moment), taken the time to check what Monty said????

Has any of the aforementioned irate "middle class trendies" (as the broadcasters like to portray us all at the moment), taken the time to check what Monty said????

I can't comment for the others but I watched the programme (but didn't complain). I assume that some idiot wrote his script for him.

Please tell me I didn't just hear Monty Don tell the public on Gardeners World to get a top bar hive, call your local beekeeping association who will provide you with a swarm and then just leave them alone!

You didn't hear that, listen again, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05vrghl/gardeners-world-2015-episode-10
Look before you leap next time and be sure of the facts

Monty actually said;
"You can contact your local bee association & they will provide you with a swarm, and you can learn how to bee-keep & make honey"

Nothing about leaving the bees alone .
Isn't that how everyone gets started????

I can't comment for the others but I watched the programme (but didn't complain). I assume that some idiot wrote his script for him.

Was surprised myself when I watched first time.

However when you watch again. . . . . . . .

It is more likely poorly edited by the BBC we should be complaining to the new culture sec about how the BBC has been portraying beekeepers this week.

Maybe the edit was intentional given Jeremy Vines radio prog earlier in the week?????

Last edited:
Monty is a Patron of Bees for Development and possibly the reason he choose a TBH.

Monty is a Patron of Bees for Development and possibly the reason he choose a TBH.

So come on all you top bar nutts,
here's and excuse to support your crusade!
:cheers2:

OOer, should I have said that? ? ? ? ?:calmdown:

So come on all you top bar nutts,
here's and excuse to support your crusade!
It has always seemed illogical to me that bees should be hived in a horizontal formal cavilty. Their natural tendency is to move vertically.
The only reason I can see for adopting a different format is if they are in danger of attack on the ground or the materials necessary to build a vertical format aren't available (e.g. log hives suspended in trees in Africa).
Perhaps I am missing something though. I have only ever used Langstroth and Nationals.

Latest posts

Back