Monty Don

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
has anyone been watching the latest monty don show on the teely where he goes to people who have brought a "farm" and are hoping to make a living from it. I thought the couple in the dartmoor where sad but the idiot last night at cornwall that thought he could make a living sell hen houses for a thousand pounds wants shooting. I am sorry but people like that realy get on my goat

has anyone been watching the latest monty don show on the teely where he goes to people who have brought a "farm" and are hoping to make a living from it. I thought the couple in the dartmoor where sad but the idiot last night at cornwall that thought he could make a living sell hen houses for a thousand pounds wants shooting. I am sorry but people like that realy get on my goat

why?

because they dared to have a go at following their dream?

I will download this program and watch it on the computer but I must say that they only think they can sell for £1000 obviously the market will decide if thats viable or not

well.......... if there's a market for garish plarstic "henhauses" for utterly ludicrous sums, there's probably a market for bespoke ones........
(heard it rumoured they were making them for bees too, but that would be just too silly for words..........) :):):)

Same old problem
People have a dream or idea.
They never research the market properly before jumping in.

well.......... if there's a market for garish plarstic "henhauses" for utterly ludicrous sums, there's probably a market for bespoke ones........
(heard it rumoured they were making them for bees too, but that would be just too silly for words..........) :):):)

Triumph of marketing over design. Reminds me of Microsoft Windows, Hoselock fittings and Ikea furniture.

I dont mind dreamers and all that , been there myself, what gets my goat is thier stupidity, the first programe was a coule that brought a hill farm of 25 acres, great good for them etc etc, but why buy a farm that at the best of times is very hard to make money from , hill farming is not the most profitable way to farm and on dartmoor makes it harder, so all well and good if you are fit as a flea but would you buy it if you were suffering so badly that you cant get out of bed sometimes because your arthitis is so bad!!!, if it was me i would brought a hobby farm somewhere warm rather than cold and as for there money making ideas well i am not impressednormal white pigs not rare breeds untill monty came along and top of the line wool duvets, evan house of fraiser buyers said they had to cut the price in half, very well done to them but way off the mark

as for the loonie in cornwall, he wanted a lawn rather than a sheep field, and as for his money making ideas, lets buy a PAIR OF PIGS what was wrong with buying 6, two fro the freezer and four to sell, buying two all he did was buy pets, as monty said a dreamer, and best of luck to him

There nothing wrong with been a dreamer, if you have the funds to survive.. …dreams do not pay bills.

But then when they do pay the bills it is just called work!

After seeing the first 2 episodes I am starting to wonder if the production is a little tongue in cheek.

Good to see Monty is over his stroke..

Having now watched the program it looked a familiar format presenter dropped in to sort out their problems and put them on the right track.

I doubt that friends of the family and perhaps the family in the program will recognize themselves as to the way they have being presented which probably made better tv for us.

Having said that it did look as though they had no idea of what was involved

I see that this weeks muppet is a complete idiot , sorry but she is in my old home area and its full of townies that buy land and do nothing with it but waste it and thier money, I grew up hating these people because they stopped me doing something on the land as it was out of my cost, as for the log cabin and planning if it was me i would of made her take it apart and take it off the land, the amount of "STABLES" that have been built around south warwickshire that are perfect bungalows apart from there is a horse stood in it for a few years first they evan have windows built into them ready for glass when they turn them over, as ever monty was right deal with the products and leave the farming for someone else that knows what to do , rant over peace and love to all,

Yes my thoughts too Pete.

I wondered if she wasn't better renting some land, getting Alpacas and then "proving" she can breed and use them.

This way less capital expenditure, less risk.

Lots of people have a dream but don't think through the business side of it.

her idea is total founded in good ideas an if given some real hard work , would or could make money, but as soon as someone keeps refering to top line stud money with out thinking you know you are talking to an idiot, if you know what you are doing a sheep at auction could be £50 or £25k there is a differance between the sheep some what , as for the total disregared to the local community and the local planning lawsa sorry but if i was in the area and was allowed the cabin would make a great bonfire

The funnyest part has to be when she said the whole of her land was covered with prickles, ha ha ha ha ha at the same time monty is picking the fore said black berries and eating them, ha ha ha ha ha . sorry but what was she expecting box hedges??

at the end of the day great tv for the viewer but it dont alf get my going

I agree completely with above comments, but I still enjoyed watching it.

But that is the point, it is made for TV and if she was a perfect farmer and did not have any problems, I suspect she would not have been picked for TV

Monty Don in real life suffers from depression I hope he does not take the program to serious it might push him off the edge

I did not realise he was bi polar , shame , thats a realy bad thing to suffer with, but as jim said it would not be any good if they had a normal person on they have to find idiots to make great tv, it just winds me up so much seeing people doing what i have always wanted to but have never been able to ,

Hello again I haven’t posted for a while. Lots going on lately.
I saw the one with the Alpacas in it. A neighbour of mine has them and like so many others who keep them, have no business plan and have spent thousands they have no hope of recuperating. They are a bit like Angora's, Ostriches, crocodiles etc, very expensive and you can only make money if/when you sell their offspring so like Pyramid selling those that get in fast and get out before the market collapses are the winners. My neighbours pay an Australian shearer to come once a year, have built field shelters, fenced off all their land, pay for frequent vet visits, bought a tractor and mower and a mini-tractor with a petrol "poo picker". They are also scared off them and don't handle them. They have a spare bedroom full of bin bags of alpaca fleece; they are convinced it's worth a fortune. Give me strength. It really is a shame as they are nice people but have been completely taken in by all the hype. On the farmers weekly forum someone has mentioned that program too- one irate comment that has stuck with me goes along the lines of ''if anyone thinks they can live off 14 acres of land they are b*o*dy idiots!!! But we beekeepers know it is possible with much less land haha best keep it to ourselves.

Latest posts

Back