Monitoring Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps - Regardless of how you perceive their perception of themselves - it's important to accept that the other person has a point of view ... by all means argue the science but avoid criticising the other person's positioning.

Derek was 'criticised' for the way he presented himself - which I have a problem with - as much as for the scientifically gathered information he presented.

Like I said .. we should all be prepared to give a little. It's all water under the bridge as we have lost Derek and others ... it would be a pity to lose other members of value. There are a lot of members on here who offer extremely good advice and perspectives/solutions to problems which are often not encountered in the books ... they sometimes come with baggage attached and all I'm saying is we should try and be prepared to ignore the bits of baggage that irritate in favour of accepting the contribution they make to our general knowledge ....

I generally agree with this apart from one point (and this is emphatically not directed at anyone or even with anyone in mind, I'm talking about this as a principle), which is that if someone presents themselves as an expert but is demonstrably not, then I think it is right to challenge them on that as well as challenging the facts. I consider myself fair game where this applies (so it's OK to fire at Will). :D

Well most of us who insulate our hives do so because of Derek so at least some good has come of his presence; a legacy of sorts. How many of us here will be remembered?
I respected Derek's posts and couldn't understand why his evidence backed explanations were sometimes quite badly received. It's looking like that may largely have been because of the style in which his observations were delivered...a topic which is current elsewhere on this forum.

Depends on your view of 'hounded out' ... We've lost at least two valuable and knowledgeable contributors to the forum, (possibly more - some people just slip away quietly) ... both of them felt that they were being singled out and challenged unnceccesarily by a small group of members with vested interests or opposing ideas.

Not everyone has the skin of a rhino and we should be conscious (all of us) when discussion becomes nit picking. It is not your perception that you have to consider - it's the perception of the other person. We are all guilty, at times, of taking a discussion beyond the point where it becomes argument for the sake of it ... it's impossible over the internet to read the body language of the other person and moderate your behaviour and words accordingly ... I'm sure we would all get on very well down the pub and face to face ....

This is not a bad forum, there are disagreements at times but it's far less agressive than a lot of on line forums and if you are going to participate then you do have to live with opposing views ... but I recognise, occasionally, that some members are reluctant to give way to another point of view and perhaps, just perhaps, we should all be prepared to give way a little. Was it Confucius or Tao Te Ching - can't remember - who wrote ?- 'Be like the bamboo - sway in the breeze'.
You can't have your cake and eat it. If you are guilty of the same behaviour you lose the right to complain when you are on the receiving end.

I respected Derek's posts and couldn't understand why his evidence backed explanations were sometimes quite badly received.

Derek has great ideas about insulation. In Finland almost all hives has been insulated 100 years. He had dressed old things in the physics terms. To Finland he had nothing to say. But he hated Finnish polyhives.

Derek has great ideas about insulation. In Finland almost all hives has been insulated 100 years. He had dressed old things in the physics terms. To Finland he had nothing to say. But he hated Finnish polyhives.
What did he find wrong with them? I thought all things Finnish were perfect. 😉

What did he find wrong with them? I thought all things Finnish were perfect. 😉

I do not start to repeat things. Actually first Nacca polyhives were from Sweden.
Derec's perfect hive was hollow tree trunk, even if no one can nurse such thing.

I was thinking more along the lines of top insulation and wooden hives.
Of course we all know there are folk who keep hardy bees who get through without and produce gallons of honey notwithstanding.

I do not start to repeat things. Actually first Nacca polyhives were from Sweden.
Derec's perfect hive was hollow tree trunk, even if no one can nurse such thing.

I found an excellent old post on Beemaster which I think carries your trademark style from when you were only 45 years a beekeeper. A small correction; then you said Nacca hives were from Denmark, but that is of no consequence.

What you described of your beekeeping and what you learned by experience about insulation and moisture and even about heating of hives is very interesting and valuable information. I know you don't want to have to repeat what you have said but the knowledge you have shared is valuable.
You have previously said, " When I have made my experiments, a normal man gives up much sooner than I. I want to see to bottom. It makes life interesting" and " But I do not follw all fool thing what others tell me. That is not brain using"
Maybe you could bear in mind that some of us are nearly sixty years behind you in experience of bees and experiments which have been done before. Whilst we have a lot to learn from you, and I know you are not a fool at all, like you, we don't always want to follow exactly what we are told without questioning it.

I will read you posts more carefully in future, but please don't always jump to the conclusion that we are all stupid because we want to talk about things that you have sorted out half a century ago. :)

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=11967.0

You have previously said, " When I have made my experiments, a normal man gives up much sooner than I. I want to see to bottom. It makes life interesting" and " But I do not follw all fool thing what others tell me.

That text must be about protein feeding with pollen patty. Trials were long and painfull, when the patty hardened, molded , bees did not want to eate. It took about 2 years to get proper moist, soft, tasty and so on.

Long time later I found that if weathers are bad, bees do not want to eate patty. They put save mode on in patty consuming.

Really many things.

Many guys took my recipe. They made it simplier and then they said, that it does not work.

Many huge propel heads in Beemastet forum with their insulation and and ventilations and straw balls. Then guys from California told to Michigan, that no insulation is not needed.

Quite a fool house that forum.

That text must be about protein feeding with pollen patty. Trials were long and painfull, when the patty hardened, molded , bees did not want to eate. It took about 2 years to get proper moist, soft, tasty and so on.

Long time later I found that if weathers are bad, bees do not want to eate patty. They put save mode on in patty consuming.

Really many things.

Many guys took my recipe. They made it simplier and then they said, that it does not work.

Many huge propel heads in Beemastet forum with their insulation and and ventilations and straw balls. Then guys from California told to Michigan, that no insulation is not needed.

Quite a fool house that forum.
Finally you found the best forum where no fools live. 😉

Latest posts

Back