Moles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national
Ive Got moles in my allotment,(looks like some illegitimet person introduced them! There are no moles within 2 miles of the site) Can anyone suggest a reliable method/trap or even poison to get rid of the little baskets?
Thanks for your help
Bryan

Windmills, apparently, if a lot those little plastic windmills on a stick are driven into the ground in the area of the moles, it drives them insane, and they move away.

Or watch carefully when they are heaving the soil and blow their bl**dy heads off with a shotgun, if you have one....that works for sure.

Last edited:
Yes Windmills,I have had them in my Allotment and the vibration drives them away.also put plastic pop bottles on top of a Cains,

Mole traps?

They work well, best to bury them in the mud for a few days before use if they are new.

Used to use that nasty stuff Strychnine years ago, jar of earth worms covered in poison, and a long pair of home made wire tongs, find the run with a stick,and pop in a poison worm. Was not good stuff as it can kill several times.

this may help you

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas[/ame]

Pete
Shotgun licence revoked in 69, anyway a house has been built metres from holding.
Veg
Bought 2 varieties of traps from flee bay. They were useless. one broke the first time it was used! Can you suggest a good trap I could use?
Peter
I was advised by local council parks boss to use windmills, but the allotment is very sheltered.
, and at near ground level there is practicly no breeze

There are a few kinds Bryan, tunnel traps are supposed to be good, but i always used the ones like in the picture in the link below, i caught hundreds in this type of trap,used to get nothing for trapping them, but got 8 pence per skin,8 old penny's that was, enough to buy my first fly tying kit..mole money,and a split cane fly rod,but that was with bunny money.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=e...dsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:31,s:0,i:181&tx=102&ty=40

Pete
Shotgun licence revoked in 69, anyway a house has been built metres from holding.
Veg
Bought 2 varieties of traps from flee bay. They were useless. one broke the first time it was used! Can you suggest a good trap I could use?
Peter
I was advised by local council parks boss to use windmills, but the allotment is very sheltered., and at near ground level there is practicly no breeze

Perhaps he was hoping you were going to put in a planning application for a new wind turbine, that would get rid of the moles, and the allotments in one go. Now he would be happy.

I use talpa traps and good quality scissor traps talpas about £6-00 and scissors about £3-30

The tunnel traps are good for deep runs.
To find them use something like a long metal tent peg and probe the ground for the tunnels. When you find one, dig out a small square big enough to take the trap, then place a tile or board over the top of the hole to shut out day light.
The trick is not to touch the traps with your bare hands, always put glove on your hands. In fact I always leave my traps out on the ground and in the rain somewhere to remove any trace of sent before using them...

if you catch them can i have the skins please i need a new pair of moleskin trousers.

The tunnel traps are good for deep runs.
To find them use something like a long metal tent peg and probe the ground for the tunnels. When you find one, dig out a small square big enough to take the trap, then place a tile or board over the top of the hole to shut out day light.
The trick is not to touch the traps with your bare hands, always put glove on your hands. In fact I always leave my traps out on the ground and in the rain somewhere to remove any trace of sent before using them...

Sorry to be the bearer of news:sorry:, but I do this as part of my business, it doesn`t matter if the trap is new or old I have caught with both in the same treatment area.

The only reason I would wear gloves is to keep my hands clean! in my experience with Duffus traps (tunnel) it is the placement that is all important and making it appear that the tunnel trap is part of the moles run.

I have heard of the windmills, I have seen them at work along with the molehill that it found itself surrounded by :icon_204-2:, you can imagine that I am more than sceptical about their efficacy.

Bunny

Without a doubt moles are really bad in our area this year, something to do with wet summer?
E

I bought a couple of mole traps from fleabay, like those shown in post #8.
They arrived earlier this week so I put them in mole runs and have already caught one mole.
The trouble with using these traps is you have to dig a hole in the lawn to set them.

Does anyone know a source of the stout plastic windmills which will keep the little bu**ers away from the lawn area?

Latest posts

Back